9

i was waiting for y/n after my class ended early

i was waiting for y/n after my class ended early. i leaned on the wall next to her classroom door and was scrolling on my phone with one hand. i could kind of hear talking coming from the classroom and kept an ear out.

when the door finally opened, i pocketed my phone and stood up straighter. then i leaned right back against the wall because i didn't want to seem so eager to see her. i was here to just hand off milk and a snack, then i would be gone.

"you're going to the rink again?" i turned my head to the side when a conversation peaked my interest. "we never hang out." i saw y/n walking out with a girl and she looked like she wanted to get out of the conversation.

"i have a competition i have to train for." she answered and tugged on the sleeves of her sweater. "i'm sorry."

"it's fine." her friend or her classmate sighed. "guess ice skaters are too popular to be friends with students like us. or maybe you don't have any friends at all." definitely a classmate now.

y/n almost looked like she winced at those words and i felt a strong urge to get her out of the situation she was in.

"y/n." i called out her name and her head snapped up to look at me. if my eyes were seeing correctly, her eyes flashed with relief before the usual blank expression appeared again. it was like she had a guard up all the time.

"hey stranger." she greeted me in her usual fashion. i walked next to her side and casually threw my arm over her shoulder like this was something we did everyday. i kept facing her classmate who was looking surprised while i could see y/n looking up at me.

"your friend?" i pointed my chin in her classmate's direction.

"yes." the other girl answered at the same time y/n answered, "no." the other girl shot y/n a glare and y/n crossed her arms, probably shooting her own signature y/n glare back.

"we're not friends. not anymore." y/n declared before turning around and taking me with her. i gladly followed her and pulled her a little closer to my side. once we turned down a different hallway, y/n escaped from under my arm and i couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed.

"so, who was that?" i asked curiously while handing her the plastic bag full of the stuff i got. she peeked inside and grabbed a bottle of milk, tugging the straw off the carton.

"someone i thought was my school friend." she sighed and stabbed the straw through the hole. "clearly not."

"she doesn't deserve a friend like you either way." i said and held my hand out to offer to hold the plastic bag while she drank her milk. y/n glanced down at my hand before slipping the bag onto it.

"are we friends?" she asked while sipping on the straw and looking up at me.

i raised my eyebrow at her question. "i thought that was obvious. we are friends."