Chapter eight

• ───────────────── •

"What do you mean he got out? How would he get out?" I say immediately becoming concerned for the giant of a man I've come to know as Titus.

"I don't know. But Doctor Michaelson wants you to come along. He thinks you might be able to help if they find him." Caleb says, holding the shop door open for me. I swiftly follow him as I spot him walking towards the car and unlocking it, then dumping his stuff into the back.

"Um guys.... Who is he... and I thought we were having ice cream." Julian said. Both Caleb and I freeze and look at each other wondering what to say.

"We have an emergency at work. We'll contact you. Ice creams on me next time. Um.... I'll text you Julian." Caleb said as he grabbed my arm walking me round to the side of his car. 

"Sorry Julian. I'll find you later. Promise."

I immediately get inside the car, flashing Julian a sad face as Caleb pulls away. 

"I feel bad for Julian." I say looking in the mirror as he watches us drive away. 

"Don't be. He's a good friend he'll understand." 

I nodded and turned to look out the window. I smirk back at Caleb. Sensing my gaze as I watch him glance at me quickly as he continues driving.

"What?"

"I'll text you. Really you could have asked him on a date, or I dunno.... given him a kiss." I mumble the last words to him, but it looks like he heard.

He shrugs before saying. "It's not that I don't want to. I'm just.... scared that he doesn't feel the same way I guess."

"Oh trust me. He feels the same way. I've known Julian a while now. He likes you." I stare out the window, observing the people and landscape as we pass by. There's a lengthy pause before...

"Really?" he asks quietly.

"Yes really." I said this while smiling at Caleb. As he returns his attention to the road, a larger smile spreads across his face. 

I'm happy for them.

****

As soon as we pulled up into Pacific Laboratories' parking lot, we opened the doors to be met with the sound of a siren going off inside the building. The building's sidelights are turning on, flashing red and yellow. Caleb and I both looked at each other, knowing that whatever is going on in that building is not good.

Walking into the building I took off up the stairs, running the fastest I've ever ran before. The corridors are dark, the only light coming from the red lights above me. Please tell me he's alright. I mean sure I've only known him for what like three days, but it's hard not to like him when all he wants to do is cuddle and hold my hand.

I came to a halt outside the door, as I see guards walking out with a range of weapons strapped to their chests and back. I gulped as I walked into the room. It was a mess. Glass was shattered everywhere, monitors were torn off the walls, and chairs were catapulted across the room. What would drive him to ruin a room like this?

"Eudora" said Doctor Michaelson as I whipped myself around.

"What happened here, I thought you said the glass couldn't break?"

"It can't, this glass is usually used to withstand rocket launches and grenades. You've got to remember Miss Hart, we've experimented on this beast for years now, it is capable of things that we probably can't even comprehend." He snapped at me.