Part 25

- Lydia -

My hands were shaking a little as I clasped them around the mug I was holding to stop it. I adjusted the mug in my hands a little, observing the design on it. A little squiggly design. I tore my gaze from it and back to Evan who was in front of me. He had a concerned expression.

'So you're telling me this woman, who you were just trying to help, told you to piss off in a sense?' He sounded agitated and I sighed. I sipped my tea, letting the warm liquid settle my squirming in my stomach.

'She didn't mean it in a rude way, she really didn't. She had just gone through something so it's understandable..' I mumbled slowly, staring at my brother's boots, that had little stars on them. I always loved my brother's decorative shoes.

'Doesn't excuse being rude, you seemed like you were only trying to help to me?' I laughed a little at his sassy tone. He was always so overprotective of me. It had been a while since I'd laughed though and my throat was dry, so I sipped my tea again.

I looked up to see Lara peering out the window and talking.

'Jesus..rain clouds? Isn't it supposed to be summer?' I craned my neck from where I was sitting to see out the window the best I could. The sky was indeed grey with clouds. Rain was a little weird at this time of year.

'I'll have to get these clothes over to Maria's before it starts raining actually.' She spoke so soft but the mention of her name still struck a nerve. She had mentioned hand me downs for Lili from a cousin of hers or something.

'Ah to Maria you say?' I heard my brother exclaim, clapping his hands together. I narrowed my eyes at him and he titled it head with a raise of his eyebrow.

'Whattt? I just want to say hey and understand why she did that..' he trailed off. I didn't believe him but I had no energy to keep him away from it. When he was determined to do something, he almost always accomplished it anyway.

'Okay..just no funny stuff, okay? She didn't actually do anything wrong.' I exclaimed and he nodded eagerly. He looked like one of the kids I worked with every day.

'Done! Wait for me Lar lar!' I heard him squeal and possibly saw smoke come through his shoes as he rushed off.

'It's Lara.' I heard Lara speak. She was a little more stern with my brother than me. I found it very amusing so I wasn't complaining.

                                 - Maria -

I saw the rain drops just about beginning to fall against the windows. Lili had literally been playing in the sun about an hour ago, it made no sense. She was now watching out the window like me, but the silence was filled with her hums and the scribbles of her pencils. She had missed Lydia today, I know because she got home and immediately wanted to draw like she did every way with Lydia.

I heard a rap at my door. That must be Lara, she text to say she was bringing some clothes over for Lili. I'm so happy I have friends that are willing to support me and her in every day. I am forever grateful, especially for Lara.

I hurried to open the door, tugging my dressing gown over my body a little more. It was getting cold, really cold right now. I pressed my fingers over the knob and clicked it open, opening it.

I saw Lara and smiled, I felt like a high school girl with a best friend that I only saw at school. I leapt into her arms with a smile, almost making her drop her bags.

'Lar! Hey!' I smiled a her, warmly until I froze at a masculine voice behind her.

'Thought you said 'It's Lara!' ' he did little air quotes and went high pitched, as if mocking her and I watched Lara roll her eyes.