Chapter 9: Ryougi Shiki vs Asagami Fujino (Part 1)

It had been a while since Shiki had felt this way.

The last time she experienced such a mix of anticipation and apprehension was when she faced off against Gojo, beaten black and blue during her first enrollment at Jujutsu High.

"Tell me your name," the woman in front of Shiki asked her. Her previously red, crimson eyes turned back to normal, so Shiki also did the same.

"Ryougi Shiki."

"I see... Ryougi Shiki, huh..." She repeated her name slowly, a line of blood trailing down from her mouth.

"Fujino Asagami," the woman introduced herself.

Bending down, Fujino lifted her skirt, attempting to retrieve something wrapped around her leg. After some time, Shiki saw Fujino gripping a short blade in her hand.

Fujino also took out a chain from her arm, which had been hanging there under her clothes. She attached the short blade to the chain, essentially transforming it into a melee and ranged weapon.

"Shall we continue then?"

Gripping her sword tightly, Shiki refocused her eyes. Her void black eyes shifted into her usual blue as the "lines" became clear once again. She readied her stance before quickly dashing forward.

In response, Fujino initiated her attack. She hurled her weapon towards Shiki, the blade slicing through the air like an arrow, while Fujino maintained her grip on the chain.

Shiki effortlessly evaded the projectile weapon by tilting her head slightly, allowing it to pass by. Observing the rattling chain still dangling beside her, Shiki made a quick decision to grab the chain, she intended to reel Fujino towards her.

However, before Shiki could reel her in, Fujino's right eye began to glow with the same intense red color as before. Sensing danger, Shiki quickly realized that the projectile that had missed her was changing direction, now aimed at her exposed back.

With no other choice, she released the chain from her hand and leaped to the side, narrowly evading the attack.

Shiki observed the weapon in Fujino's hand. It seemed that she must have wrapped the chain around her body. If Fujino lost her grip on her weapon, then she would be vulnerable. That's what Shiki deduced. She needed to know the effective length of Fujino's chain so she could plan her attack accordingly.

Now the only problem is Fujino eye's ability. She knew for a fact that her eyes had something to do with how her earlier attack suddenly changed direction at an impossible angle. While fighting Fujino, she also needed to watch out for attacks that could come from any possible direction.

"What a headache," Shiki thought.

With no more words to be exchanged, the two girls clashed once again. Shiki needed to ascertain the maximum length of Fujino's chain.

As the intense clash between Shiki and Fujino continued, Shiki found herself unable to close the distance between them. Effectively keeping Shiki at bay with each swing and thrust.

With this observation in mind, Shiki tried to bait fujino by intentionally staggered backward, a deliberate tactic to attract Fujino's attention and provoke her reaction.

Sure enough, Fujino seized the opportunity. With a swift motion, she extended her chain-blade, the metallic links slicing through the air, aiming to exploit Shiki's supposed vulnerability.

But then, something unexpected happened. As Fujino's chain-blade extended, Shiki's instincts screamed danger. In a split-second reaction, she forcefully regained her footing and leaped backward, narrowly evading the deadly arc of Fujino's weapon.