Eleven

Skye's POV

I kept my eyes closed, hoping Wesley would think I had fallen back asleep, laying very still and just listening to his breathing. He had shocked the hell out of me earlier by suggesting we get married, well asking me to marry him and I couldn't bring myself to answer him. Everything in me initially wanted to scream YES but the more I thought about it, the more confused I got about his reasons. When he blurted it out, he had just found out that I had slept with Lincoln and then got in a fight with him. He was rattled and I was worried that it was his jealous streak talking, wanting to prove to Lincoln that I was his. I had no issue with him wanting everyone to know I was his, I was his, it was a fact and I wanted to be his forever but it wasn't a good enough reason to say yes. I tensed as I felt Wesley move next to me on the bed, feeling his fingertips brush along my cheek and the realisation I couldn't avoid this forever set in. I had been able to hold him off long enough with some jokes and sex a little while ago but if he pressed it, eventually I'd have to answer him. Maybe his head had cleared and he had realised it was a mistake to propose so soon after getting back together, and that we were too young and we had too much to figure out before we made a decision like that. The idea that he thought it was a mistake gave me a shooting pain through my chest, despite all my logic as to why this wasn't the smartest idea, I wanted him to want to marry me. 

I opened my eyes and was face to face with Wesley, taking in his warm eyes and lazy smile, my heart fluttering the way it always did when he was this close. I could do this forever, wake up next to him, I wanted to do this forever, it would be so easy to say yes. I wanted to say yes but his proposal was too sudden, I coudn't shake the feeling he hadn't thought it through and that he'd regret asking and wish he could take it back. Even if he still meant it, what about when he went on tour, when I went back to school, how exactly would it work? I had too many questions to give him an answer, "Skye" Wesley whispered pulling me back to the moment. I knew he was encouraging me to tell him what was on my mind but I really didn't want to bring it up, I wanted to just lay and look at him. I sighed, yesterday we were broken up and today he was fighting Lincoln and proposing, it was too much to take in. "Are you going to answer me?" Wesley asked, searching my eyes for any indication of my thoughts. Part of me was relieved he didn't think it was a mistake but the rest of me tensed up with anxiety, it felt rushed and too soon and like a panicked reaction on his part. "Skye, will you marry me?" Wesley said more firmly, and my heart skipped a beat with how insistent he was, there was no feeling like it.

"Wesley" I started, knowing I would avoid giving him an answer for as long as possible, because telling him no would hurt too much but saying yes was too crazy. I raised my hand to his eyebrow, running my finger above the cut that was starting to heal. "Don't say no" he said softly, his eyes closed and his voice soft, it cut through me and I considered just saying yes. "I won't" I admitted, knowing I would never be able to bring myself to turn him down, his eyes opened and he looked hopeful. "But one of us needs to think clearly Wesley, I love you but this is just crazy" I explained to him, desperately wanting him to see that this had nothing to with him but more to do with timing. A massive grin spread across his face, reaching his eyes and making me go weak, this was the best Wesley expression by far. He sprung up to his knees, causing me to bounce up and down on the bed with his sudden movements. "I'm crazy about you" he hollered, springing around on his knees, bouncing up and down on the bed like a little kid. "I want to be with you forever, I want to wake up like this with you every morning, I want everyone to know I love you", his statements getting more and more enthusiastic. I was laughing and bouncing around and filled with complete joy, there was nothing better than hearing him talk like this.

"Don't you feel the same way about me?" his voice now with a streak of seriousness, and his eyes filled with a need for confirmation. I nodded slightly, rolling my eyes at his wild reaction, "But it's still too crazy" I admitted reluctantly. He popped up to his feet and stood with one foot on either side of me, looking down at me, "What's crazy, is how much I want to marry you. So just say yes. Just say it Skye" he threatened jokingly, grinning that grin. I took him in, he was wearing only grey sweat pants and the sight of his defined bare chest alone made me want to scream yes. Could we do this, could we actually get married, would it all turn out like crap once he left for tour, did I want to be married at 18, what if it turned out like mom's marriage to dad, but what if it turned out to be like her relationship with Paul. My mind swirled with the questions I was too afraid to vocalise, maybe I should just take a leap of faith for this boy that I loved more than anything. Wesley dropped to his knees, straddling me, "Tell me you're thinking about saying yes" he urged me quietly, his voice serious again. "Of course I am Wesley" I admitted, he had to know I wanted to say yes, I was just scared and anxious. "But" I started to explain my reservations, he cut me off, "So just say it and I swear everything will work out". 

A knocking at my bedroom door interrupted us just in time, and I looked up to the door way to see my mom pop her head in. "Saved by the bell" I whispered under my breath, Wesley hearing and giving me a quizzical look. My mom's eyes lit up when she spotted Wesley, pushing the door open as he jumped off the bed to hug her. "Wes. It's so good to see you" she told him as he released her, "Does this mean you two are...." she trailed off and pointed between me and Wesley. "Yep" Wesley said proudly, "About time. I told her to stop being an idiot Wes" she told him as I shrunk down the bed and disappeared under the covers. "Most mom's would be angry to walk in finding a boy straddling her daughter in her bedroom" I groaned from under the blanket. I heard them chuckling from my spot under the blanket, "Come downstairs so I can show you what we bought for the wedding" my mom said ignoring me. "You're coming to the wedding with Skye, right Wes?" she continued, I flinched, "You have no idea how much I can't wait to attend a wedding with Skye" I could hear the smirk in his voice. Luckily my mom was oblivious, "Come downstairs Wes" she insisted and I heard my bedroom door close. I pushed back the blanket slowly, revealing an empty bedroom, I was thankful for the space. I took my time getting dressed, tying my hair up in a messy pony tail and washing my face before I went downstairs.

"Of course we can sing at the wedding" I hear Wesley before I hit the bottom of the stairs, oh no, my mom is hitting him and the guys up for a performance at the wedding. "Moooooom" I whine as I round the corner and head into the living room. Mom has little glass vases and table cloths strewn about all over the floor. "Don't ask them to play at the wedding. They are on a break" I complain at her, I had always been mindful of avoiding Wesley's career, obviously too mindful seeing as it was what caused me to end things with him earlier in the year. "It's fine Skye" Wesley defended my mom, "It's what we do and doing for people we love is what makes it worth it" he finished, almost staring me down. I knew he was making a point, "In fact" he carried on, "I was thinking when we go back on tour at the end of summer that maybe Skye would come with me for a few weeks before she has to go back to school". He was talking like I wasn't even in the room, although I was surprised he could ignore me so well, I assumed he must be able to hear my heart pounding in my chest at the thought of what he was suggesting. Spending a few weeks with him, all the time, watching him perform, travelling, it sounded amazing. My mom squealed, "Yay, that will be so good for you two" she danced around, way too excited for a mom who was just told her little girl was going on tour with a band.

I scoffed, "You're happy I'll be a glorified groupie?" it sounded harsher than I meant it to. "Skye" Wesley started to talk, looking hurt at my accusation and upset that I wasn't equally as thrilled as my mom. The truth was, I was thrilled but is started to feel all too real, is this what being married to Wesley would be like, going between school and following him around the country. My mom cut Wesley off, "Oh shut up Skye. You know that's not what Wes meant. He's trying to include you in his life, make sure you two work out and you're being a brat", she spat at me. She was right, she usually was and I sighed as Wesley came to stand in front of me. He puled me into a hug and I rested my head on the soft cotton of his tshirt. Breathing in deeply I knew I couldn't live without him in my life but could I live the life he was living. "You know you're more than a groupie, you're my girlfriend Skye" Wesley whispered, his warm breath on my neck giving me goosebumps. "And I'm practically begging you to be more than that" his hushed, pained voice making me grip him tighter. "This will you be you two one day" my mom's voice interrupted our moment, my head snapping to look at her as she gestured to all the wedding stuff that had invaded our living room. "Hopefully one day really soon" Wesley said without any hesitation, me shrinking in his arms, bracing for my mom's reaction.

I kind of hoped she'd give him a bit of a mom speech, pointing out how young we were and how much we had to work out first but of course, in true mom fashion, she couldn't be counted on for sensible, only honest. "If you can get her stubborn ass to agree, you are more than welcome to take her off my hands". I felt Wesley's lips on my ear, "Just say yes", a shiver running down my spine, I  raised my lips to whisper in his ear. "Ask me again in a few years?" I suggested hopefully but Welsey didn't like the idea at all. "I'll ask you everyday until you say yes, but please don't make me wait a few years" his mumbled sweetly into my ear and I was filled with an overwhelming desire to say yes. I needed to get out of this wedding filled room, away from my love sick mother and boyfriend, I freed myself from Wesley's arms and stormed out of the room. "You two are ridiculous" I called back over my shoulder as I trudged up the stairs. I flung myself on my bed, what had gotten into everybody, did no one remember I was 18 and he was 19. Had my mom forgotten we had been back together for one day and that he was essentially a famous musician and I was just his high school sweetheart. I was plagued with more doubts now than when he had asked me earlier but I also wanted to say yes more now than ever.