Sixteen

Wesley's POV

'Still not awake yet, but the doctor said all looks good on her scans so we just have to wait for her to be ready to wake up', I re-read Phoebe's text that she had sent me this morning. I was relieved that her scans were good but it had been 4 days now, and I wasn't sure how much longer I could take this waiting. I was actually grateful that we had so much going on as a band right now, it was keeping my mind off Skye to a certain extent. We were about to do a radio interview to talk about our first album, which had just been released before we went home for a break over summer. This was our fifth radio interview in two days and we had another four or five to do plus two TV appearances before we headed home in 4 days. I took a deep breath as we entered the radio studio and switched into musician mode, leaving my concerned boyfriend thoughts at the door. The interview went in a similar fashion to all the others we had done over the past few months, they asked us about the album, our tour plans, our summer plans and if we were single. I always avoided answering that question, usually deflecting it to Drew who made a big deal out of how he was single and still couldn't find a girlfriend even now he had songs in the iTunes charts. I knew that gushing about my girlfriend wasn't the best idea as far as female fans went plus from the beginning of XFactor Skye had insisted. She didn't want any attention as a result of being my girlfriend, and I realised we hadn't really had to deal with anything like that yet. We had broken up shortly after XFactor had finished and only recently gotten back together, my mind raced thinking how Skye might handle the extra attention she was bound to get sooner or later.

The interview ended and we headed back to the tour bus that we had been travelling in for what felt like most of the year. I felt bad not giving my all in every interview but the guys covered for me and no one had mentioned anything about my behaviour so I felt like I must have been doing an ok job at pretending to be fine. Once inside the bus Drew and Keaton talked about the upcoming TV stuff as I sat quietly, torturing myself with what if's. What if she didn't wake up, what if she said no to my proposal, what if she woke up but was different. I had pretty much been on auto pilot since I left Skye at the hospital and it was in these quiet times that all the worry, dread and negative thoughts rushed back in. "Any word on Skye?" Keaton asked me, his voice filled with genuine concern. "Her mom text me earlier saying that she had more scans which came up good. The doctor says we just have to wait now" I relayed the message. "Do you know what actually happened to her?" Keaton asked, "Like I know she was hit by that car but do you know the details?" I couldn't blame him for being curious. Both him and Drew had visited her the day after she went into hospital, they had seen how beat up she was. I shook my head, "I bailed out when they were going over the impact details and injury specifics" I admitted. I couldn't handle hearing all the details and had made an excuse to leave the room. "She'll be fine dude" Drew tried to reassure me, I nodded automatically, "Yea I know" I said hoping for it to be true. "I'm gonna catch some sleep" I told them as I headed for my bunk on the bus. I climbed up and settled in, closing my eyes and hoping to get some much needed sleep.

**********

"I'm just going to shave my head" Skye whined as she threw herself down on her bed. I looked up from my phone and smiled at her, "You should let me help you" I told her, again. I watched as she rolled her eyes, "No, you already do so much stuff to help me seeing as I'm such a loser at using my right hand" she protested. "I'm pretty sure this is a mutually beneficial activity" I reminded her and I could tell she was trying not to smile. She thought about it for a while and I went back to texting Drew about my plans for Skye's birthday in San Diego. I looked up again when I heard her sigh, "Fine" she conceded and dragged herself up off the bed. I sprang up, "I'll go get the plastic wrap and tape", I told her and headed down the stairs. I retrieved what we needed, raced back up the stairs and proceeded to waterproof Skye's cast. I tried not to appear to enthusiastic but the idea of showering with Skye was very appealing, even if it was for somewhat medical reasons. I had been helping her with most things since the accident, because she had limited use of her left hand and was a complete klutz with her right. I had loved taking care of her, more than I thought I would, and right now I loved it even more. Skye had been struggling trying to wash her hair properly for the past few days and she had finally agreed to let me help her.

The water was hot and relaxing, as I stood waiting for Skye to join me in the shower. "I feel like I should ask you to close your eyes" Skye admitted from the other side of the shower door. I chuckled, "I've seen you naked plenty of times before Skye" I reminded her and listened as she sighed in acknowledgement. She still hadn't joined me a few seconds later and I didn't want her feeling uncomfortable, "If it helps, I will" I offered. "No, it's fine" she told me and I heard the shower door open behind me and felt her brush against me as she stepped in. She moved to stand in front of me and under the stream of water, "This is actually quite nice" she said as she placed her hands on my upper arms. She tilted her head back to wet her hair, closed her eyes and sighed in contentment, as the shower steamed up from the hot water. Her actions were completely innocent but of course seeing my naked girlfriend in this way affected me and she had no idea, she never did. "You're gonna have to cut that out if you want me to be of any use in here" I said in a light hearted tone but meaning it seriously. Skye opened her eyes and looked up at me confused, "You can't be all wet and hot and touching me and sighing" I told her, causing her to blush. I loved that she always blushed when I told her how sexy she was, like she had no idea and barely believed me.

'Focus' my inner voice snapped at me, I had a job to do and I wanted to be able to take care of Skye when she needed me. "Your cast isn't getting wet is it?" I asked looking along her cast, from her elbow to her hand that was gripping my arm. She shook her head, "Good. So now let's wash your hair" I tried to sound business like, making Skye giggle. Her giggling was probably my favourite sound in the world so it certainly wasn't making this any easier. "Add giggling to the list" I ordered, which just resulted in her giggling more and eventually it was too much. I stepped closer to her, forcing her to move backwards towards the shower wall. I placed my hand on the back of her head and leant down to kiss her, ensuring my hand was between her and the wall. I felt her hands tighten their grip around my arms, as her tongue made its way to meet mine. I pressed my body into hers, feeling the warm water run over us, as I moved my free hand to her lower back. I pulled her closer to me as she slid her hands up my arms and around my neck. The plastic wrap against my bare skin jolted me back to the task at hand and I reluctantly pulled away from the kiss. Skye pouted and closed the gap I had just made between us, essentially pushing her naked body against mine and I realised this was going to be difficult.

**********

'Beep, beep' my phone vibrated waking me from my nap, my lips involuntarily in a smile from the dream I was having. It took me a second to remember I was on the bus, and then an avalanche of realisations came. Skye was in hospital, I was waiting for her to wake up, she had been in a coma for 4 days, she still hadn't answered me, I wasn't going to be there when she woke up, I had to wait 4 days to get back to her, we were on a promo tour. Everything I had wanted professionally was all coming together and I wanted to make the most of it but I needed Skye to wake up first. My phone beeped again, reminding me it was a text that had woken me up in the first place. I fumbled around in my pocket and finally retrieved my phone, bringing it up so I could read the texts. I unlocked it and saw they were from Skye but I was so used to seeing her name come up on my phone that it didn't register at first that if she was texting me it must mean she was awake. When it finally hit me my heart stopped and I couldn't open the texts fast enough, my haste causing me to drop my phone. I picked it up and opened the texts, 'So....I'm awake', I read it over and over just to make sure it was real before moving down to the next line in the conversation. 'And I have an answer to your question Wes', my heart raced, I was finally going to get my answer.