Chapter 31 [The Ex]

• Dedicated to My darling baby sister, for her sweet 16!

My Roommate the World Biggest Jerk 31 [The Ex]

Aiden POV

 She stirred on the bed, hands grabbing the sheets blindly while she quietly moaned and whimpered. A few seconds lapsed until she finally settled down again. It happened every few hours, whatever nightmare she was having, and I was growing uneasy just by watching it.

I took a seat on her bed and lightly touched the top of her head, smoothing the faint creases forming on her forehead and threading my finger in her long dark hair. In her sleep she let out a soft sigh. Smiling faintly I reached down and kissed her on her temple.

“I’m so sorry my sweet…”

Fay had been checked into a ward some eight hours ago after spending a couple of hours in the emergency room. After passing out, she hasn’t waked since and to my relief the doctors assured me that it was perfectly normal for her to sleep. It was better for the recovery as well, if she doesn’t move too much. The sun had slipped beyond the horizon and the night had plunged everything in darkness.

I closed my eyes and took a sofa I had dragged and placed next to her bed. The memory of this morning flooded my mind once again forcing me to relive it. I came bounding from my grandmamma chambers as fast as my legs can carry me, breaking yet a few more heirlooms in the process. There was a commotion at the pool side area. People were standing in a circle: maids, guards, even the gardener had come to inspect.

When they saw me coming, the crowd parted revealing the centre of the attention: Ryui was kneeling with Fay in his arms. My princess bride, her turquoise dress tainted with blood and her hair in disarray. Her pink cheeks pale and the lids of her eyes fluttered close.

She had slipped and fell.

It took us fifteen minutes to reach the nearest hospital but she had bled so much, getting paler and paler. Her lips tainted blue as they moved whenever she whimpered feebly. She mumbled my name a few times and I had squeezed her hand back, letting her know that I was there.

“Aiden…” my eyes opened with a jerk and I reached for her hands which were seeking frantically. Her eyes flew open. Perhaps startled by the darkness she called for me again.

“I’m here sweetheart, I’m here.” I whispered, tightening her hand in mine as I scooted over on her bedside.

She eyes darted around the room and finally her gaze rested on the drip pole and the small tube, connecting to her arm supplying her with IV. “I’m in a hospital?” she questioned slowly.

“Yes.”

“I fell… earlier.” She stated.

Before she could say anything else, I reached and kissed her on her temple. “You’re gonna be okay.” It was more me, reassuring myself in an effort to comfort my troubled heart. Pulling back I saw Fay nod despite the fact that her eyes glimmered with unuttered questions. Questions, I was not ready to answer. I know what was coming and cringed when she finally said it out loud.

She reached her free hand onto her flat stomach while intense eyes bored in mine. “Is our baby okay?”

I said nothing and continued to grip her hand tight. Unsatisfied by my silence Fay called my name again. “Look at me.” She ordered and I did. “Is our baby okay?” her voice was hoarse and I felt her hand trembled in my hold.

“Fay…”

“Answer the question Aiden!” There was a tint of hysteria in her voice now, faltering at the end. Strained lines appearing marring her smooth forehead.