Chapter 4 (edited)

Chapter 4 [Fashion or Cinema?]

I watched his eyes widen as his hands clutched the red spot on his cheek that marked where I had just slapped him. Ryui quickly got on his feet, dragged me by my arm again and acted right for the prince, who was now fuming and trying to make me pay for my impulsiveness.

“Bitch!” he screamed. He was trying to get to me but Ryui had me away from him.

“Cool it.” he advised the prince in a calm tone and I had to give him props for handling this well. Either Ryui was just born to be cool or he was just used to the spoilt prince’s attitude.

Jerk!

The prince who was denied access to inflict bodily harm toward me let out a frustrated sound, pivoted around and headed for the bar where he drank his champagne in one shot. Apparently not content, he began unscrewing the lid of an amber colored drink before pouring it into his empty glass, filling it to the brim.

“Don’t drink too much, you still have a presentation on third period.” Ryui said, not all too politely to the prince. It sounded so relaxed, the way both of them communicated. It was almost like they were friends.

“Fine! Control the fuck out of my life!” the prince replied. “And get that thing out of my sight. That’s an order!”

“Right, hear that Fay? We’re leaving.” Ryui smiled humorlessly, clasped both his hand at either side of my shoulder and steered me out of the room.

Once outside of the lounge, I asked him, “Is it really okay for you to speak to him like that?”

Ryui chuckled. “Speak for yourself! Is it really okay for you to slap him like that?”

I shrugged. “He’s an ass. He shouldn’t have said things like that about my bike. Since when did poverty become a crime? It’s not like he bothers anyway, sitting high on his throne! And now since it’s broken, how am I going to come to school every morning? My house is miles away!” I exclaimed miserably.

Ryui, however, wiped his grin from his face and pegged me a stern look. “You’re lucky that I was the only one there or you could’ve been beheaded for slapping Aiden like that. What you did violated about a dozen of protocols and rule. But seeing that it was his fault, I’m gonna let that one slide.” I nodded meekly.

Ryui was silent as we walked toward the office that he had agreed to show me the way to. “Where’s your house exactly?”

I looked up. “Just outside town, it’s one of the suburbs near the Domicane River.”

“That means ten minutes by car.” He said, almost talking to himself.

“Twenty on a bike, but only if you pedal slow.” I interjected and he nodded.

“I’ll get Aiden to buy you a new bike. He has to replace what he’s broken.”

At that I shook my head. “Nah, I don’t think it’s seriously broken. I mean, he probably just tossed it on the ground. How much damage can that be?” I said. Ryui was looking concerned. I smiled on, “I can fix it, it’s fine.”

“But you can’t possibly…” he begun but his sentence faltered away when I gave him another reassuring smile.

“It was my dad’s bike and I don’t want to replace it.”

Finally, we arrived at the office and the clerks and school officials greeted Ryui warmly. I turned around to face him. “Thanks for your help; I think I can take it from here.”

He nodded. “Your bike will be waiting at the very same place where you parked it this morning.” And with that, Ryui turned around, said goodbye to the staff and left.

My eyes were following him till he was out of my sight. My heart kind of did a back flip as he disappeared round the corner without him so much as looking back at me. And it continued to pound until the voice of the receptionist shook me out of my stupor.

“Hi, my name is Fay Lara Addams and I was offered a scholarship to go here?” I began, looking at the old motherly –looking woman who was looking at me through her horn -rimmed glasses.

“Oh, so you’re the scholarship student? Welcome to Royale Arts.” She greeted and I thanked her for her warm welcome.

“So what course are you going to take here?”

At the question, I rummaged the inside of my oversize bag to retrieve a clear folder which contained all of my necessary documents.

“I was offered to choose between cinematology, photography or fashion and textile.” I said, pushing the papers of the letter of offer of admission that was sent to me some three weeks ago. She peered at the letter and nodded.

“So, Miss Addams, what is your final decision?”

“I want to take fashion and textile.”

“Really?” she asked, now examining my resume. “Because the visual presentation of your movie that your school had submitted was particularly amazing.” she commented before she added, “Plus, our own crown prince is one of the students who are taking cinematology.” She stated proudly.

I nodded wordlessly throughout her gushing of the crown prince. And at the end, she looked at me once more, eyes still sparkling so happily as she talked about the prince who, by her opinion, was one of the most gifted students to study cinema.

“So, Miss Addams, what is your final answer? What course do you wish to enroll in?”

I plastered one of my fake smiles that I prayed looked convincing enough.

“I’m still very determined to take fashion and textile. Yes, fashion. Most definitely fashion.” Of course I was determined; if I ever had even a sliver of interest to join the cinematology department, it had all been dashed to non- existence. I could only wish I would never see the prince or cross path with him again.

I didn’t ever want to see that royal jerk again for fear that if Ryui was not around, I might actually get myself beheaded for slapping him earlier. And I pretty much liked my head where it was, thanks. I knew I had some issues concerning my impulsiveness and my anger but he was the one who crossed the line. That bike was the only thing I had of my dad and for it to be broken – even if he was the crown prince – was downright unforgivable!