Chapter 32 [Crazy for You]

My Roommate is the world biggest jerk 32

Chapter 32 [Crazy for You]

Fay POV

A mixture of irritation, disgust and blind rage compelled me to string my bow a little too taunt causing my arrow to fly through the wind and pierce the ground instead when I let go, some twenty paces from my intended mark. Biting my lip as I watched the gardener scamper away behind the bushes afraid my arrow would find him next. The archery instructor however nodded and praised my developing skill to the immense pleasure of grandmamma who was sitting with Mrs. Warton under the shade, watching me practice, clapping happily.

At least it was closer to the mark than before, I thought, when the next few arrows landed in the nearby fountain, bushes and the flower bed.

Archery was on the menu for today’s distraction. Never underestimate an ailing woman was the lesson I had learned over the passing weeks. It was a simple remark I had made during breakfast when I had said that I would someday love to try my hand at archery. A few hours later, I was presented to an instructor and a bow was thrust in my hand. 

I was beginning to suspect that grandmamma was aware of the fight I had with Aiden a few days ago concerning that damning picture of him and his ex at the ball. Well, no wonder he did not want me to go. He was meeting her there! Chewing my lips I drew out another arrow from the quiver and strung the bow, my eyes narrowing at the bull-eye mark a few meters in front of me.

Imagining Aiden’s face on the mark, I let go of the arrow which flew magnificently in the air, finally embedding on the round mark. It was not precisely a great hit, it didn’t meet my intended mark but it was a hit nevertheless, landing a few inches shy of the center. Grandmamma cheered and I grinned for her while my instructor yelled “Bravo miss! A fine hit!”, clapping his hands together.

Now that I had a way of venting my pent up anger I drew yet another arrow, strung my bow but just as I was about to let my arrow fly to the mark (which I imagine to bore a giggling image of Andy) a sudden cough caught me by surprise. Startled I turned to the voice and accidentally let go of the arrow.

Aiden ducked just in time as the arrow whizzed past him, nearly embedding in his shoulder.

“Holy shit!” he cursed when he picked himself up and dusted his shirt and pants. “Are you trying to kill me?!” he yelled.

Undeterred and unimpressed by his accusation I turned on my heels, picked up yet another arrow from the quiver and focused on the mark. Aiden gave me a wide berth, circling as far as he could from me to join grandmamma under the shade. My next attempt was unsuccessful and so as several times later.

I blamed my lack of concentration on Aiden. Annoyed and slightly embarrassed, I pulled my last arrow and tried to focus, narrowing my eyes and finally, holding my breath I let the arrow go.

It travel at lightning speed and finally when I looked again, the arrow had embedded itself at the red centre of the mark: the bull-eye. I pivoted around to receive claps and cheers from the watching staff and grandmamma while at the same time staring daggers at Aiden, who was looking mildly amused at my newly discovered talent in the sport of archery.

“Well done miss!” the instructor stepped close praising me while motioning his assistant to relieve me of the heavy, mechanical looking bow. Once the heavy burden was lifted I smiled and thank him for the acclaim.   

“You’re a natural.” He went on.

“Well…” I shot Aiden a look before turning to the instructor again, giving him my most dazzling smile I was able to muster. “It helps when you have anger on your side and excess rage to channel.” I nodded, thanked him for a wonderful experience and strolled away.