3. Oak Tree & Grandma's notebook

It was already 9 pm.

Star's mom was still not home, the young girl figured that she wouldn't see her mom until the early rays of sunlight. She got out of bed and went down the the hallway staring at the family picture which was hung on the wall.

It was just her mother, herself and her little brother Kade.

Kade was a mischievous little guy with blond hair and light blue eyes, he got all his great looks from their father, she thought bitterly. That man who left his family for some cheap girl he met during his business trip to Milan.

But star couldn't blame made at all, he was just an innocent and loving kid and star missed him a lot. Because of the current financial situation of the family Kade would have to stay at his grand parents until everything was solved.

Later that night Star didn't bother making something for dinner, instead she ate the leftovers of the previous day and after feeding the dog, went straight to her room.

She sat at her table eyeing her notebook which was resting on her chemistry book. She reached for it and slowly opened it, staring absentmindedly at the poem she wrote today while hiding behind the oak tree.

Even as ridiculous as it might sound, oak trees had a very deep and special meaning to her.

*flashback*

"Grandma!! This huge tree in the back yard is so beautiful! But why don't you cut it off? Daddy said that it was an old tree and it could hurt people if it fell!!"

"This is because my dear child, this tree which we call an oak tree has a very special story attached to it" her grand mother replied lovingly, looking down at the little kid who seemed eager to know more.

"Reallyyyy?" Little star stared up at the huge oak tree.

"Yes my child. Come with me, I'll tell you everything"
Both the grand mom and star sat down at the foot, well under the shade of the tree.

"You see little star, don't you feel the magic in this place? This was the place where your grand pa asked me to marry him, at first I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't reply and I eventually said no because of fear that my parents wouldn't agree with the marriage. Your grand father, heart broken, left me here standing alone".

"Then what happened grand ma?" Little Star inquired curiously.

Her grand mother sighed and held star's tiny hand in hers and proceeded.

"You see, I was so young and naive, that I didn't have enough courage to realize that I had just lost the one man who I truly loved... Days passed and I went to my dearest mother telling her about the proposal, after nights of relentless waiting, my parents finally gave their consent. However, your grand pa wasn't ready to forgive me, after all I had broken his heart. He never replied to my letters. So one day I went to his house and slipped a letter under his door"

" I still remember the first few lines:

Oh cruel life
Why does it have
To be so hard,
Why am I a broken
Flower refusing to
Be strong enough
For my prince,
The one
The one who
Made me feel like
A beautiful rose
The most beautiful
One which he ever held
..."

"This is a beautiful poem grand ma"

"Is it my dear? After reading this your grand pa forgave me and proposed to me once again under this very tree and this time I said yes to the man of my life"

Her grand mother took out a book which looked like a notebook but much bigger. She laid the book in the lap of the little girl, took out a feather and some ink which was on the porch. Her grand mom sat down quietly and whispered lovingly to her little child.

"You are a very special child my Star, you are beautiful and what you'll write will surely be as beautiful"

A little bit startled, Star looked up at her grand mother, and it was right there that she wrote her first poem.

Look into my eyes,
They'll tell you the truth,
Hold me in your arms
And love me forever
Look at my smile
And make me feel special,
But don't try to know
What's behind,
You'll only find
A broken girl.

*end of flashback*

Star snapped out of her reverie and made her way towards her opened window, she stood their and looked up at the stars.

"Hello grand ma, I ... I'm so lost at the moment, I wish you were here next to me. You were the only one who could understand me so well, and I promise your notebook is in good hands, I'm taking care of it and Writing in it makes me feel so much better and less lonely, it's the only way I can express my true feelings. I know this might hurt Molly, but this notebook is my true best friend, thank you grand ma"

She finished quite shakily in the end, laughing sadly at the memory of her late grand mother and the only thing that could make Star feel close to her, was by looking at the sky and hoping that her granny would see her.

After all it was her grand mother herself who said that stars hid so much secret and they are so precious that they have the magic to look after us.

Star slid under her sheets, trying to revise some of the chemistry notes, but her thoughts kept coming back to Ray.

Why do I feel like this grand ma, I barely talked to him, but it seems that I can't stop thinking about him. Star whispered to herself.

Her eyes burnt, it seemed like she wanted to cry, but she really didn't want to, she was tired of crying. She didn't want anymore tears.

So she held her chem notes tightly between her shivering hands and tried to read while waiting for the sand merchant to come by and take her to the world of dreams.

Before falling asleep, she thought one last time of Ray, wishing to see him in her dreams.

At least in wonderland, she could be with him with no problems, no one else, just him and her, unlike the harsh reality.

*****************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~***********************

A/N poor Star :/ anw
If you like the story hit the vote button to cheer Star up!
Aha ;)
Hmmm, Ray you are a very interesting person though 😋
Lush ya 💞

Stella .x