23. Cruel love, Cruel life

Breathe in... Breathe out... Breathe in... Breathe out...

"If you keep breathing like this, I'm pretty sure, you'll live for another 110 years or you might just turn into a balloon," Ray muttered and tried to hide his smirk

Star frowned and smacked him. She didn't find this funny at all, she was way too stressed out.

"Ouch, stop hitting me," Ray said but smiled like a goof.

"hmmph, you deserve it," Star replied as she huffed and stared out of the window. A cold, white blanket of snow was covering the pavement and a light, chilled wind was blowing from the North. For once it wasn't freezing, well the weather was still humid and cold but it was way better than the previous days.

The white snow looked so pure and enticing, that Star got lost in her thoughts and completely blocked out Ray who'd been talking for some 5 minutes now.

She blinked and turned around, but was taken aback by the closeness of Ray, whose face was hovering over hers.

"Wha-what?"

"Well first you hit me, second you don't even listen to me, third we've arrived and fourth I want a kiss," the last part came out as a whisper and it sent chills down Star's spine. She placed the palm of her hand against Ray's lips as the young man began leaning down.

"No, no, no, no, not here!" Star squeaked as she tried to push him away. Ray mumbled something into her hand and Star just stared at him. She pulled away and gulped as she saw her house at the end of the curb.

"Hey, it'll be alright, okay?" Ray said as he pushed out a strand of her hair out of her face.

"I guess..." Star trailed off. She looked down at her hands and sighed.

"I should go," Star said, not really wanting to get out of the car.

"Maybe you could stay a little longer, eh," Ray offered.

Star chuckled and looked at him lovingly. Was this really happening? Was she really in the same car as Ray Vince O'brien? Did they really share a kiss? Was she really-?

"Staaaaar!"

"Yeah?" Star replied, quite startled by Ray's voice.

"I am starting to think that you're cheating on me with someone else who's in your head."

Star giggled and pushed him away.

"Alright, I gotta go, bye Ray,"

"Sure, sure, but I'll call you tonight alright?"

"I'll wait for it," Star replied timidly and rushed out of the car. She threw a final glance at Ray and waved goodbye.

She quickly unlocked the door and ran up the stairs, hoping to not come across her mom. Unfortunately the latter was waiting for her at the end of the stairs. Her lips were pressed in a thin line, her eyes were cold and void and her arms were crossed in front of her.

Star stopped dead in her tracks and stared straight ahead. Out of nowhere came a deafening slap that echoed through the house. Tears pooled in her eyes and she lost her balance and fell backwards. Her ankle got caught in the railing and she managed to hold onto it, but unfortunately she almost wrecked her wrist.

She stumbled and got up when she noticed her mother coming down the stairs. She limped down the stairs and headed for the front door but fell to the floor when her mom grabbed a hand full of her hair and pulled her down.

Star felt her left cheek sting once again. At this point tears were running down her cheeks. She heaved heavily and tried getting up, but sat still on the ground when she met her mom's ice cold eyes.

Her mom bent down and held her by the collar of the thick pullover she was wearing. Star gulped as the alcohol tainted breath hit her face.

"You're a worthless piece of sh!t, you are just like your dad, a slut!"

Star stayed silent as she let her mother talk. She knew that if she tried saying something she'd just end up getting beaten.

"Aren't you ashamed of what you're doing? Sleeping around with boys instead of studying? You ruin my reputation everywhere you go!" Her mother seethed through her teeth.

You're the one sleeping around, not me.

"Look at me when I talk to you, you worthless daughter!"

Star lifted her head and looked at her evil mom.

"I wish death upon you, I am utterly ashamed to say that you're my daughter," Star bit down on her tongue as a sob threatened to escape.

"Why don't you call your dad and tell him to pick you up huh? I'm tired of seeing your face around here!"

"I am leaving, I hope I find you gone when I come back." Star kept her head low as her mother picked up her coat and keys and banged the front door as she left.

Star difficultly stood up and walked towards her room, where she'd be safer. She locked her door and broke down in tears all over again.

"Oh, no," she whispered. She had forgotten her notebook at Ray's house. As if she needed more problems right now. She sighed and pulled out a pencil and a piece of paper from her drawer and started scribbling down random phrases.

'Cruel,

Cruel life,

Cruel Love,

Born to die,

What a weird cycle of life,

Ever wondered why

We were placed on this planet to die

In the end?

Do we serve a purpose?

Do we have something to prove?

Are we supposed to be happy or sad?

Is happiness really a thing?

Cruel world,

Cruel life,

So much pain and too many tears,

I'm drowning,

I'm drowning in my own pool of tears,

Why was I born?

What a cruel life.'

Star cried out as she felt her weak wrist twist- it was turning a dark shade of blue mixed with purple. She retrieved a bandage from her other drawer and wrapped it messily around her wrist.

She sighed and took a sharp breath when she felt her phone vibrate. She carefully took it out while trying not to further injure her wrist.

She literally smiled through the pain and tears when she saw Ray's name pop up on the screen.

"Ray-" She sobbed into the phone and cried even harder.

Ray. Ray. Ray. Ray. Ray. Ray. Ray. Ray...

________________________________________________________________

A/N:

ohhhh nooo Ö

My poor little Star. RAY CHEER HER UP ASAP.. I wonder what will happen in the next chapter 🤔

Star's mom is so mean uhg.

Well anyways, hoped you liked it 😋 updates will be more frequent now, cause I'm feeling inspired and also I plan on finishing this book before mid-September cause I'll be starting a new story around that time.

Also, I'm publishing a chapie of Murderous Passion tomorrow or Tuesday.. I'm still working on it ehhh

Please vote and comment. COMMENTS MAKE ME HAPPY ❤️

Lush you all,
Stella. xx