kaneki ken x reader

{fluff}

source: Tokyo ghoul

art: official
~

If Kaneki had known that college would have given him someone like (Y/n), he would've been a lot happier with something to look forward to. (Y/n) had been one of the older boys to show him and Hide around the campus, although he swore people often thought he was a lot younger. He was just someone fun to be around, a ball of sunshine right beside Hide. Kaneki wondered what he ever did to have such sweet friends that cared about him so much.

But something about (Y/n) made him ... wary.

He'd known Hide since he was young, he knew everything there was to know about Hide. But (Y/n) was a friend made in 'adulthood'. He was a mystery no matter how Kaneki sliced it. And he didn't want to seem rude but ... (Y/n) was a bit weird. There wasn't much about himself that he liked having revealed, so conversations with Kaneki were always superficial. It made the boy's skin crawl.

Although, he shouldn't have been one to talk. He was a brand new ghoul on the scene and was doing quite terribly in the 'fitting in with normal human society' department. He had missed so many classes that he was surprised he hadn't been expelled yet. But he finally got his job at Anteiku and did his best to fill up on coffee, trying his best not to think of the tablets he dropped in every now and then.

After eating, he usually felt a ton better and felt well enough to go to class. It was his first day back and as soon as he left the dorm, he was bombarded with questions from Hide. He answered vaguely, a bit nervous but not wanting to lie to his best friend. Hide stared at Kaneki's nervous but happy face, watching a shorter man scratched his cheek sheepishly from all the attention.

"You know, (Y/n) has been asking about you a ton." That made Kaneki stop and blush. He wasn't really used to having people other than Hide worry about him. It felt nice, he wouldn't lie. He just hadn't expected it to be someone like (Y/n) who was leagues more attractive than one plain Kaneki Ken. The dark haired ghoul simply flushed harder as Hide shook him jovially about finally 'getting some'.

Hide walked with him to his class, dropping him off right in front of the lecture hall. Kaneki entered the hall, barely registering when he was bombarded with a heavy hug. He was tackled with such force that he almost fell right over back into the hallway.

"Oh Kaneki - kun! Are you alright? I missed you so much! Have you been eating alright? I can feel your ribs!" The ghoul was so overwhelmed with questions that he could barely speak. The shorter male lifted him off the ground and spun him, adding to Kaneki's disorientation. He was so dizzy that, as soon as his assailant set him back on his feet, he nearly fell right down, legs soft like jelly.

All Kaneki could say was a weak "(y/n) - kun" as he struggled to re - orient himself. The shorter male just watched him, keeping a firm grip on the half - ghoul's shoulders so that he wouldn't fall and die. (Y/n) steered Kaneki towards the seat next to (Y/n)'s bag, far too disoriented to protest in the slightest. He didn't even give a whine when (Y/n) pushed him into the seat with a light shove.

The lecture started once the professor cleared their throat and rapped against their lectern. Kankei tried his best to focus on the lecture, but with how close (Y/n) was, it wasn't exactly feasible. (Y/n) smelled really good. The half ghoul faintly wondered if (Y/n) used body mist or if he just naturally smelled that delightful.

Kaneki didn't even realize the lecture had ended until (Y/n) had bumped their shoulders together, face so distractingly close that their noses almost touched. He could feel (Y/n)'s breath across his lips, warm and petal soft. He didn't have the guts to look (Y/n) in the eyes, so he merely focused on the cute bridge of his nose.