Say What?

Isabella's POV

I had to correct myself.

-was my mate. The first time I rejected him was 20 years ago.

I looked around the room, and they all had looks of surprise except the kids and Alex. Doc summed up what everyone else was thinking.

What?! Your mate is the Vampire King?

Yes.

Jessica.

Does Lyra know?

Yes. That's why she hates me.

But why? You just said that you rejected him years ago.

John.

No, she said the first time. What happened between you and him?

I drew my knees up to my chest and hugged myself as the memories hit me like a pile of bricks.

Don't....

Then to my surprise, Maggie moved in front of me.

Mommy, can you do my hair?

I gave her a forced grin then answered.

Sure. What do you want?

Braids like last time.

Ok.

I could see Alex stopping Erik and his parents from saying anything out of the corner of my eye.

No, she needs the distraction. This story isn't easy for anyone to listen to or tell.

I talked to Javi.

Javier, can you get me a rattail comb, spray bottle with water, paddle brush, clear hair gel, rubber bands, and two long pieces of green ribbon?

Sure.

He made all of that appear out of my kit and gave me all of it. I put my legs down, so Maggie could sit on them, and I sprayed her hair down with water, detangled it, parted it into the proper sections, added a little gel to keep it from getting frizzy then started by braiding down the front of her hairline as I let my story come out.

At first, I didn't know who he was. My friends had dragged me out of my office, so I could get out and have some fun which was something I did not do. I never made any time for it. Never even dated. I was always knee deep in work.....We went to a club in town, and it was just supposed to be a girls night. We had a few drinks, danced with each other and a few guys, and he was there and introduced himself. We had a few drinks together, and when he touched my hand, I immediately felt the sparks which made me go from a little tipsy to almost a sloppy drunk. One thing led to another, and he was my first and a one-night-stand. Yes, I was a 23 year old virgin, but anyway, I sobered up when the reality of the situation hit me, and I went home because I had a conference to go to in the morning. I go to the conference. I was a little hungover but fine. Later that night, I was to be honored at the Pack Recognition Ceremony, and he's there with Lyra, and their one kid at the moment. They get introduced as the Vampire Royal Family, and I was pissed. I had to remain professional, but I was pissed. I tried avoiding him like the plague, but he eventually caught me by lying in wait in a storage closet and pulling me in when I walked by. I almost killed him until I saw who he was, and I gave him an earful, and rejected him, but it was like my words went in one ear and out the other with him. He kissed me, and because the bond was freshly severed, it patched itself, and.....I couldn't move. I couldn't fight him off. I couldn't run away. I couldn't even scream because my wolf kept me frozen in place.....and he knew that and took advantage. The man that was so gentle with me the night before turned out to be a cold-blooded monster.....I had never felt so used or disgusted. I didn't care that I was the one being honored. I made up an excuse and went home. I didn't tell anyone what happened. I didn't even cry or allow myself to feel upset because I knew that the pack would know and start to ask questions. I stopped going to events unless it was absolutely mandatory. If he was there, I immediately left. I kept that up for three years until he started breaking into my room in the middle of the night whether I was at home, or at an event. To him, I was just someone he could use however he wanted....I tried breaking it off countless times. I kept rejecting him, but nothing ever changed.....One year had passed, and things were getting worse. He appeared another night, and he was angry and muttering things about Lyra, so it was very clear to me that they had a serious fight......He grabbed me by the throat, and started choking me until I was almost unconscious. He let go, and he kept saying that it was my fault. He punched me in the face then started punching and kicking me everywhere until he was satisfied then started crying.....I knew it was a ruse, but the bond still made me reach out for him. He grabbed my arm and broke it. He broke my ribs, and once he beat me into a bloody pulp, he bit and started drinking from me. He almost broke my neck when he did, and he didn't stop until I passed out from blood loss. I woke up two days later to my Beta busting down my door and shaking me awake. My clothes were torn, and I still had dried blood on me. I know he knew what had happened, and he asked could him or a guard start staying with me, but I told him no. I was too embarrassed and ashamed, and I didn't want them getting hurt. He was the only person that knew something was going on. It was like that for the next four years. Being unable to fight back or even scream for help all because of a stupid bond. Lyra found out about us while she was pregnant with her third child during the sixth year. She had came by herself to an event and took me to a room where we could be alone. She asked if I had something going on with her beloved because he had said my name in his sleep. I told her, "Unfortunately, yes." Of course she asked me what I meant. I desperately wanted to tell her, but my mouth wouldn't move. I couldn't say a single word about it, so I said what I could. I told her that a smile perfectly hides pain, and to ask her beloved and believe that lie because the truth will kill her and her unborn child. I left the event after that because I couldn't look her or anyone else in the face. I felt so pathetic, and the abuse continued until I managed to fight the bond enough to try and kill him. I almost did. I had stayed up most of the night until he had broken in again. I faked like I was asleep, and as he ripped my covers away, I started shifting and tore out his throat. I knew that wasn't going to finish him off, but he managed to get away by jumping off of my balcony and falling into the waters. That's how he got that scar on his neck, and how I got mine. I cried for the first time in eight years. I straight up bawled like a baby, cried myself to sleep, woke up and bawled again. I was happy and upset at the same time, but it was finally over. He never bothered me again. I thought I could start healing.....until my brother showed up.