Chapter 19

My brain is jumbled.

My thoughts are unclear.

I still can't shake the thought that I killed everyone.

I am a murderer.

*****

I am awoken by a bright light. There are men surrounding me before I can recollect my mind.

Ryan takes me left arm, and Justin takes my right. They walk me to a large building, surrounded by 2 tall metal fences. I assume we are at a prison, and that those fences are being electrified at all times.

Once we are inside the building, Justin whispers something to Ryan. Ryan gives him a short nod and Justin turns around to walk the other way. I am brought to a room.

This room is small, and one wall is covered in what appears to be a mirror. But I know that this is not the case. I have seen these walls before, and I know that there are people on the other side. Watching my every movement through a window that only they can see.

I am sat down in a chair, and Ryan takes a seat across from me. The only thing separating us is a metal table.

"Are you alright?" Asks Ryan.

I roll my eyes and glare at the 2-way mirror to my right,
"Like you care."

"I do," he says,"But I know you probably don't want to talk to me."

I ignore him. My mind hasn't come together enough to form my feelings in to words, but I know that when it does it won't be pretty. The only word crossing my mind is murderer. It keeps making a reappearance in my head, so I stop trying to remove it. Instead, I leave it there; I accept it.

I am a murderer, and for the first time in my life, I feel powerful.

Ryan clears his throat,"Until we can set a date for your trial, you're going to have to remain in prison."

I don't look in his direction.

"I'll leave you to...try and understand all of this then," says Ryan.

I hear footsteps quickly fading and then a door shuts.

I continue to glare at the 2-way mirror, and the door opens again.

"WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!" I scream, still not looking in the door's direction.

"Calm down. I'm not going to be here for long," says Tyler.

I quickly turn my head towards Tyler, embarrassed, and he walks over to me. I try to stand, but I am restrained by my wrists to the chair. He squats down next to me and begins speaking in a quick voice,

"I know you want to get out of here and I'm going to help you do it," he says, "There are no men watching from the 2-way mirror right now. I cleared them out; told them I had to talk to you in private. I know you probably hate me, but I want you to know that I am only trying to help you. I regret turning you in. I know you are a good person. You're just sick, I get that."

I nod, somewhat confused, and wait for him to continue.

"Tonight, I am on duty as the night warren. At exactly 10:00 I will walk by your cell and unlock it," he takes a deep breathe and continues, "There will be other guards there, so try not to act suspicious. I will take you out of your cell and make up an excuse to tell the other guards. When we get outside of the building, we run."

I stare at him in shock.

"I said, 'we run', do you understand?" He asks furiously.

"Yes. Yes I understand," I whisper, "Why are you helping me?"

"Because I-" he stops himself, "The others are going to be back soon. Don't forget what I told you."

He gets back up and leaves the room without another word.