Part 23

As soon as Claire and I entered Chic City, an excited sales assistant dressed in a trendy pink top and black miniskirt greeted us. 

"Welcome!" she beamed, smiling with her entire face. "I'm Emily!"

My eyes widened as I tried to hold back an amused laugh. Bubbly and enthusiastic, Emily from the clothing boutique was the polar opposite of Emily from Java Lava.

"Hi, we're looking for dresses for her," Claire gestured to me, her voice deep and mellow in comparison to Emily's.

"Great!" Emily chirped, her ponytail bobbing as she nodded. "Casual or formal?"

"Casual," I confirmed.

"Fantastic!" she said. "Come with me, ladies!"

Emily lead us further into of the store where a dizzying array of dresses hung from hundreds of rods mounted to the walls. Clean white shelves were decked with handbags and shoes that sparkled under the flattering yellow lights.

"I can assure you, Chic City has the best clothes in all of LA," Emily enthused, wringing her hands together and smiling at me expectantly. "Is there anything you're looking for in particular?"

Before I could reply, the sales assistant spoke up again. "A little black dress? Or a white one? Low back? Sleeveless? Sweetheart neckline? A fitting bodice? Straight cut or a little flare?"

"Uh," I hesitated, my head spinning from the endless list of choices.

Suddenly, a memory from the recent past surfaced. Jason and I were sitting inside his car, our faces partially illuminated by orange sunlight.

"That colour looks beautiful on you," he had said about my turquoise top. 

A hopeful smile edged my lips when I asked Emily, "Do you have any dresses in turquoise blue?" 

Claire glanced at me questioningly, but remained silent.

"Yes!" Emily grinned, seemingly overjoyed by my choice of colour. "I'll find some dresses for you! Be right back!"

Claire headed over to one of the shelves, examining a pair of shoes closely while I slumped onto the beige loveseat nearby. 

Claire and I had spent an exhausting three hours at the Walk of Fame and Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. Both legendary attractions had been fascinating, but I understood why Jason preferred the quieter side of Los Angeles.

After roaming two heavily crowded public places -- filled with people of all ages laughing, talking, and taking selfies -- I yearned for an eccentric candy store and a tranquil rose garden. Most importantly, I craved Jason's company.

"Hi!" Emily suddenly materialised in my field of vision, making me jump. "Let's try some dresses!"

My eyes drifted to her arms, laden with over a dozen blue dresses.

"Whoa," I blurted, horrified by the prospect of having to try each one. "Are all these dresses my size?" 

"Yes, they should fit you perfectly!" she giggled. "I promised you some of the best dresses in LA! At Chic City, you'll never run out of choices!"

"I'll say," I huffed, taking some of the dresses from her arms to relieve her burden.

"Let's try some dresses!" Emily repeated, clapping her hands as she led me towards the changing rooms.

I lost track of time as I flitted in and out of the changing room, trying on dress after dress. Emily and Claire sat outside the room, scrutinising each outfit with great care.