Part 24

"Right this way," the courteous, middle-aged host lead us towards the outdoor restaurant.

As we followed the man, I noted the classy furniture, the smartly dressed waiters and waitresses, and the elegant light fixtures. A heavenly aroma of food and drink floated through the air, the fancy restaurant filled with sounds of cutlery and pleasant chatter.

The moment we entered the outdoor area, the restaurant's din mingled with the gurgle of water. My eyes widened, taking in the sizeable fountain that was located in the centre. Numerous tables stood around a pathway made of wooden planks, forming a perfect circle around the fountain. While the fountain stood on a bed of grass in the open, the tables were protected from the skies by a ceiling of glass supported by wooden panels at regular intervals.

"Wow," Jason said, stealing the word right from my mind.

"Ah, here we are," the man announced when we reached the only unoccupied table in the circle.

Jason grabbed one of the chairs, holding it out and gesturing for me to sit. I smiled and obliged, thanking him as I did so.

"Here are the menus," the bespectacled host said, placing two fancy cream-coloured cards onto the table. "A waiter will be with you in just a few moments to take your order. Have a good evening!"

Jason and I thanked the host before he left the table with another polite smile. 

"This is great, Leena," Jason spoke up, his eyes glittering under the pretty yellow and white lights. "It was nice of Claire to do this for us."

It was because of Claire's friendship with a manager at The Secret Garden that Jason and I could get the coveted outdoor table for dinner at such short notice.

"Yeah, I'm glad she did," I smiled, snapping the silky white napkin open on my lap. "So, what do you want to eat?"

I studied the fancy menu card, searching for the vegetarian options.

"Whatever you're having," Jason said simply.

"But I'm a vegetarian," I pointed out awkwardly. "You can have anything you like, Jason."

"I know," he smiled. "I asked Claire today, and she told me."

Just as I opened my mouth to respond, a waiter dressed in a crisp black-and-white vest suit arrived at our table.

"Good evening," he greeted us cheerily. "May I take your order?"

Jason smiled, gesturing towards my menu.

"Okay," I said, quickly ordering for broiled ricotta gnocchi, couscous, and Greek lasagna. Turning to Jason, I asked, "Dessert?"

He glanced at his copy of the menu for a moment before suggesting the orange sorbet and creme brûlée.

"Thank you," the waiter said, tucking his pen and notepad into his pocket. "Your meal will be served soon."

Excusing himself, he retreated to the indoor portion of the restaurant.

Approximately ten minutes later, the waiter returned to our table, his arms laden with plates. He set the appetisers and main course down with a bow.

As we ate, Jason and I talked. We asked random questions, laughing as we discovered unexpected little things about one another.

"Favourite colour?" Jason asked.

"Black. Yours?"

"You already know," he said, gesturing towards my turquoise blue dress with a wink.