Part 30

An hour after Claire had left to the airport, I stood in front of the full-length mirror and brushed my straightened hair, my body wrapped in a cozy bathrobe. 

Feeling excited, I reached into my closet, grabbing the hairspray can that I had purchased the previous day. With my lips pursed and my eyes half-closed, I shook the canister before spraying the temporary hair colour all over the midsection and ends of my dark hair. When I opened my eyes and focused on my reflection, I dropped the can to the floor in shock, a scream escaping my lips.

It wasn't supposed to be this shade of blue! 

The only reason that I had bought the temporary hair colour product was because it promised to turn my hair the exact shade of blue that Jason loved: turquoise. Instead, the spray had dyed several clumps of my hair in the most offensive shade of electric blue.

I turned away from the mirror, desperate to contain the panic that was building in the pit of my stomach.

It's only temporary. 

I have enough time to wash the gross colour off my hair.

Thank god, Jason isn't coming over until after his shift.

Just as I was about to head into the bathroom, the doorbell rang, making me jump out of my skin. 

Cursing under my breath, I threw on the nearest pair of underwear, jeans, and a t-shirt. I rummaged around my suitcase frantically in search of the beanie that I had brought from home.

The doorbell rang again, shrill and urgent.

Did Claire come back because she forgot something?

"Coming," I shouted, stuffing my hair into the beanie as I ran down the stairs.

When I threw the door open and found a smiling Jason, looking effortlessly cool in a simple white t-shirt and blue jeans, I screamed for the second time that morning. 

A look of puzzlement crossed Jason's face as he pushed the strap of his backpack further up his shoulder with one hand, a box of chocolates held in the other. 

"Surprise?"

***

"I thought I'd use my sick days to stay with you," Jason explained once I ushered him into the living room. "I didn't tell you because I wanted it to be a surprise."

I accepted the box of chocolates with flustered gratitude. 

"Are you okay, Leena?" Jason inquired, misreading my awkwardness. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I can come back later."

My insides twisted with guilt when I saw the confusion and hurt in his face.

"No, Jason," I breathed, stepping closer to him. "I want you to stay."

I just wish I didn't look like I had parts of Cookie Monster stuck in my hair, I thought to myself as I brushed my lips against his.

The beanie on my head shifted when we pulled apart, causing a few strands of my hair to tumble out. Before I could shove my hair back into the hat, Jason noticed the shocking blue patches. 

"What is that?" he asked, reaching towards my beanie with wide eyes.

"It's nothing," I squealed, sidestepping him quickly.

Jason laughed, the sound deep and infectious. "Why are you hiding your hair?"

As his hand extended towards me again, I gasped, pointing to the window behind him.