Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was early morning Tuesday in December, the day after talking with the Senator, when Lucy and Harry left the house. The paparazzi weren't even expecting it. Most of them had stayed at hotel for the night. The nearest hotel was seven miles away. It would take them a while to get here. By the time they did, Lucy and Harry were gone.

The sun barely began to rise as she drove south first, drawing the paparazzi that way, and there weren't many. They had been in their cars, not really waiting for the couple until the late morning, sleeping. The flash of Lucy's lights from her car woke them; they desperately tried to get going. She escaped them quickly. And then she took back roads through the Twin Cities, working north before she hit Interstate 35. A straight shot ahead on the long road, with farm fields and woods lining the trail. Small towns lined the road along the way. It would take an hour and a half to get there, and Harry relaxed in the passenger seat.

"Where are we going?" Harry asked for the tenth time, already uneasy with the driving. He was fine if he drove, but he tended to get ill when he got to sit in the car. Lucy didn't trust his driving yet in the U.S.

Lucy laughed. "It'll be cold."

"It's cold everywhere here, Luce."

Smirking, she merged into the right lane as a car passed her in the left lane. "It'll be colder."

"I see we're going north. That didn't escape me."

"You missed the town name."

Harry leaned back into the seat and his eyes watched outside, awaiting the next green sign to say the biggest city. When the green sign came with white lettering, it listed three cities: seven miles away, twenty miles away, one-hundred-and-thirty-eight miles away.

"You said this was going to be a long drive: one-hundred-and-thirty-eight miles until Duluth."

"Congratulations," Lucy said, "you can read."

"Ha ha," Harry said dryly.

"I told you to bring a book."

"That would deny us the pleasure of talking." Harry settled back into the seat and watched her. "You're beautiful."

Lucy rolled her eyes and continued driving. Harry tried to speak to her but she turned up the music. Learning long ago Harry was cranky without enough sleep, Lucy needed him to sleep on the way up. After returning from the Minnesota State Capitol yesterday, Harry and Lucy had talked. Harry wore himself out quickly, with a lot of anger radiating off of him. He knew he couldn't protect her, but he tried so hard. He even let some swear words; Lucy watched him. However, Harry stayed up later than Lucy. They slept in the same bed that night, so he might have some human connection. She slept that night, but he didn't. A few times he got up and did things around the house, but he always came back. Harry ended up sleeping in the car.

Two hours and fifteen minutes later, Lucy shook him awake, and Harry blinked. Light streamed inside the car. It almost looked warm outside, except for the snow that blanketed the ground. As soon as Lucy turned off the car, it would've been below freezing. Harry wasn't used type this kind of cold yet; he probably would never been.

"Harry, look in front of you."

He did. Her car pulled forward, slowly going up a hill, but it wasn't until they reached the top that he saw the real beauty. Duluth was laid out in front of him, with a sprawling city to the right, two bridges to the left that led into Wisconsin. The bridges lied over a large bay of sparkling blue water, before one last lift bridge was up with a cargo red ship going under the bridge. Lake Superior grew in front of him, going on forever, as if it was an ocean itself.

 Lake Superior grew in front of him, going on forever, as if it was an ocean itself

"Pretty, isn't it?" she asked.

"Wow," he commented, leaning forward in his seat.

Slowly, the car went down the hill, snaking left and right as they moved into downtown Duluth. He got more views of beautiful Duluth and Superior. It was hard for him to blink. He drank it all in. Prince Harry had been to some amazing places in his lifetime, but Harry hadn't been out a lot. He was just a regular guy now.

"Put it on," Lucy commanded, and Harry followed lead. Both of them put on hats and sunglasses, obstructing their most defining features.

She got to the hotel quickly, with excitement of showing Harry around the city. Lucy had picked out a nice hotel, right on Lake Superior, with a great view and amazing sights. Harry grabbed the bags as she checked in. Harry laid on the bed after dropping the bags on the floor. The door locked behind them automatically.

She stood in front of him with a smirk. "Tired?" Lucy asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Yes," he hummed.

In a flash, his arms grabbed and pulled her to him. She fell on top of him before rolling onto the other side of the bed. Harry immediately started to kiss her, and she had no problem with it. His lips ran across her cheek and moved down to her neck. Lucy kissed him back. She ran her fingers through his hair. Blushing, she pushed him back and gave him a look.

"Come on." Lucy jumped off the bed. "There's so much to do."

"I want to sleep."

"I don't care."

Groaning, Harry put his face into the pillow. "Let me sleep. I want to sleep."

She dropped beside him. "Harry, no one knows we're here. You are free. Take advantage of it."

Immediately, he jumped off the bed, landing on the floor loudly. It was a wonder what the downstairs neighbors thought. A smile crossed his face, eye to eye. Harry knew he was free, and no one was sure how long it would last. They were free. It was best to take advantage of it now. Harry grabbed his coat and his gloves, with Lucy already ready to go. They were off.