Chapter Twenty-Nine

Lucy and Harry went back to the hotel after Enger Tower. Harry needed to warm up and Lucy wanted some time to relax. She had bigger plans for them that night, as he would get to see some beautiful things. When they got back into the hotel, Harry immediately jumped into the shower, steam coming out from under the door as Lucy sat and watched waves roll in from Lake Superior. After ten minutes or so, Lucy grew extremely thirsty.

"Harry," Lucy knocked on the bathroom door, "I'm going to go grab some pop. I'll be back in a little bit."

Harry acknowledged it. Footsteps echoed outside the bathroom door in the room for a moment. The hotel door closed behind her.

With the hotel door closing and locking behind her, Harry turned off the shower. The hot water had been perfect, and he had cleaned off his body. But he stayed in there longer than necessary, thinking of a way to get out without having Lucy leave because he forgot new clothes out in the bedroom. At least he didn't need to lie to get her to leave; she left herself. Harry did this for Lucy, because he didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

Though they dated for three years, nothing ever happened like that. There had been enough snogging sessions, but everything was halted before going too far. It was never the right time. Sometimes, it seemed to be going in that direction but there was something that broke up the mood. Other times, it just wasn't right. The time was supposed to be perfect, and neither of them wanted to rush it. When they were interrupted, no hard feelings happened. It was just that way.

Harry dropped his towel onto the floor so that he could use both hands to go through his bag as he looked for clean underwear. He was so engulfed in what he did that he didn't even hear as the door clicked in and Lucy walked in, which she didn't exactly notice for a moment. The door closed behind her. Lucy's eyes widened as she saw Harry stark naked in front of her.

Unintentionally, Harry turned to her, exposing all of himself. Dropping his underwear, Harry covered himself with his hands. Her eyes were turned elsewhere.

"Sorry," she said. "I forgot my ID."

"Um... sorry about my... nakedness?"

"Harry, I've seen the Las Vegas pictures. I've seen you like this before."

"My hands covering up my penis?"

"Yeah." Her eyes found something incredibly interesting on the wall.

"You didn't see anything else?" Harry wondered.

"Um... I did."

Smiling to himself, he tried not to have a smile in his voice. "Did you like what you saw?"

"You have a cute butt." She chewed on her bottom lip. "The other... it's nice."

"Thanks."

Awkward silence filled the air. Harry watched her still, hands covering up his penis. Lucy's eyes continued to watch the wallpaper, as if it would start dancing.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Please put on some clothes."

"Oh, yeah."

Harry tried to cover up his penis as he picked up his underwear and put it on. He ended up having to remove his hand to put on his underwear, and Lucy caught another look at his manhood. Lucy smiled and felt heat rise on her face, covering her body. She found it hard to breathe. Turning around, she faced the wall completely to give Harry some privacy.

"Luce, I'm done changing now," Harry called.

"Are you sure?" she asked, assuming it hadn't been enough time for him to put on all his clothes.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure?" she repeated.

"I'm not a dick."

"We know you have one."

Harry laughed. "I guess I didn't make you too uncomfortable."

"It wasn't that I was uncomfortable," she began, "but I wasn't just expecting it. I didn't know you would be naked. I'm sorry I saw you--"

"Naked?" His chuckles filled the air. "You don't need to be sorry for seeing me naked, and you can turn around now, Luce. You're not going to see anything."

Lucy turned around and continued to advert her gaze elsewhere. "You're not wearing a shirt."

"You've seen me without a shirt."

Looking at him, she squared her jaw. "This is different, though. I thought you were fully dressed."

"Free the nipple?" he asked.

Lucy arched an eyebrow at him.

Harry put on a shirt to appease her, and it worked. She finally looked at him fully, without as much judgement before. There wasn't as much anger too.

"Is this better?"

Lucy scoffed. "We have dinner plans. Get some warm clothes on. We're going to go see the lights afterward."

Grabbing his winter jacket, which he got specifically for Minnesota, his gloves and hat, Harry followed Lucy out of the room and down the way to Canal Park. As always, he tried to ask questions but she gave no response besides a smile. His mind thought she led him to a romantic dinner on the concrete boardwalk, and his heart gave a flutter; Harry cursed himself for not thinking of it but it would cold. Harry then decided the romantic dinner must have been in the lighthouse; he definitely should have thought of it first.

Then Lucy went to the right, going to a brightly lit restaurant called Grandma's. It was a massive building with lots of tables. Harry would already hear the laughter. People were in the windows. No one looked at them. However, Harry became uneasy.

"Luce," he warned, "someone is going to notice us."

"No, they aren't."

"Yes, they are."

"Stop worrying."

Whenever she meant to calm him, her fingers would interlace with his. They wouldn't just hold hands, palm to palm, but their fingers would come intertwined, as if she would hold on forever. It reminded him of a knot, one that couldn't ever be undone. Her warmth spread across him. It was surprising with the effect she had on him. It went all the way back to Africa, when they met and how she acted. It was friendship. Their friendship had evolved, stronger than ever, and had become a relationship. He wanted forever with her. Harry hoped to get forever with her.

Even with the bright lights and numerous people filling the restaurant, no one gave them a second glance, not even their waiter. It was just another young couple that dated. There was nothing special about them. They are normal, yet Harry thought she was spectacular.