22. Opening Repertoire

Clementine looked out on her equipment, neatly arranged on the dining room table. First, she inspected her gun. She had cleaned it last night, just to be on the safe side. After confirming it was fully loaded, she double checked to make sure the safety was on, then placed the gun into her holster. Next she took a small pair of binoculars and slid them into a pouch hanging from the back of her belt.

Clem examined the bayonet next. It still had a razor sharp edge from where Cruz had touched it up. Clem very carefully placed it in the sheath attached to her belt, then picked up her tomahawk. She had retied the knot in the rope that served as the weapon's shoulder strap and sharpened the blades as well she could. It was certainly better for it, but it didn't seem to have the same fine edge the bayonet did. Still, more than adequate for rotting corpses, Clem placed the tomahawk's nylon sheath on its head and set it aside.

Looking past her weapons, Clem checked her radio. The flower stickers on it were starting to peel off, but otherwise it looked no worse for the wear. And it and Sarah's radio were both given fresh batteries this morning. After clipping the radio to her belt, Clem retrieved the brown elastic hair tie sitting on the table and used it to pull her hair into a bun. Then she placed her hat on her head and tugged on it until it fit snugly.

"You're sure this is a good idea?" asked Sarah as she examined her rifle. "I mean, riding on the outside of the Brave? And when there's going to be lurkers around?"

"It's the best way to do this," stated Clem as she slipped her gloves on, taking care to tuck the bracelet on her wrist into one. "The Brave's engine will draw the walkers to the front of the RV. While they're distracted, I'll jump off the ladder on the back, stick the bag in a compartment on the Brave, and you drive away before too many show up. They already won't smell me because of the raincoat, and I'll probably be done before they even get close to the Brave."

"What if you aren't done before that happens?" asked Sarah.

"That's why I'm riding on top, so you won't have to open the door during any of this." Clem put on her respirator and tightened the straps. "If things get bad, I'll just get back on the ladder and we keep driving."

"Driving where though?" asked Sarah.

"I'll talk you through it on the radio, don't worry." Clem stood up and headed for the fridge. "Trust me Sarah, once this over, you're gonna be so glad we did this."

"I'll just be glad when it's over." Sarah helped Clem into her raincoat.

"You've got the rifle and your pistol loaded, right?"

"Yeah, and Omid is napping in the bedroom."

"Okay, the weather looks good today, and we've got everything we need." Clementine grabbed her tomahawk and threw it over her shoulder. "This is going to the best Thanksgiving ever."

"I can't wait." Sarah smirked at Clem, which gave the younger girl a burst of confidence. She shot out the door in a flash and raced around to the back of the RV. Clem scaled the ladder with great haste and upon reaching the top, surveyed her surroundings. Nothing unusual, other than Clem thought it was a lot colder today than it was yesterday.

"Sarah?" called Clem on the radio as she wrapped her free arm around the ladder.

"You ready Clem?"

"Yeah, take us onto the highway, the one west of the park, and go south." Clem held on tight as she heard the Brave's engine try to start. It seemed to sputter for a few seconds before erupting into a mighty roar. The RV lurched forward suddenly, causing a cool wind to blow past Clem's face and a chill to shoot down her spine. The girl clung to the Brave's ladder as tightly as she could as the RV moved onto the highway and picked up speed.