Mycroft: The Way I Am (Part 1)

Request for @onlyhuman119

~

221B loomed in front of your eyes. You had done your research to find where Sherlock Holmes lived. Of course, he wasn't who you were looking for, but you had to start somewhere. The knocker was tilted slightly; you grabbed on, preparing to hang on for the long ride ahead. You knocked three times against the door, then waited. Your foot bounced in anxious waiting. Finally, the door opened to reveal an elderly woman.

"Go right upstairs darling, they're waiting. First door on the left." You nodded politely to her, then headed up. When you reached the first door on the left, it was slightly ajar and you heard voices. You pushed open the door, making more of a ruckus than you meant to. Three heads popped up to greet you, each with different expressions. Immediately your eyes landed on who you knew to be Sherlock Holmes - he looked over you with glazed boredom.

"I thought I heard the front door open. Assumed it was another case. Well not really assumed, deduced. But anyways, sorry Mycroft, time for your departure. And please note how very sad I am about it," he offered sarcastically. Your heart skipped a beat at the mention of Mycroft. Mycroft Holmes.

~

Long, long ago...

"C'mon Mycroft, it's only a little further!" you urged. The grass scratched your legs as you climbed the rest of the way up the hill to the circle of trees at the top. They were perfect climbing trees. Perfect. You looked back and chuckled to yourself as you watched Mycroft slump up the hill. His hair flew into his eyes and he reached down every so often to scratch the grass away. He had a bitter look on his face, but it softened slightly as he eyed you watching him; you had failed to notice of course.

"Are we going to make it back in time for lunch?" he groaned. He made it up to where you stood and glanced menacingly at the trees behind you. You stood on your tiptoes to make yourself taller than him, you were only 1 inch shorter. You guys measured every day - it was one of the many competitions between you two.

"Mycroft you are in the English country surrounded by trees that are just begging to be climbed. Forget about eating for one second and enjoy yourself," you commanded playfully, giving him a little push. He crinkled his nose and rubbed his arm.

"Let's just get this over with."

"I swear, you're a grumpy old man stuck in a 10 year old's body," you muttered as you headed off to your adventure up in the treetops. Behind you, Mycroft rolled his eyes, but followed you. Just like always.

~

You recovered from your momentary flashback. You were in shock. It had been easier to find him than you thought, or hoped.

"Mycroft," you breathed, out loud this time. A rush of wind came at you from the side and you realized it was him, leaving the room. "Wait," you called, then ran after him. He had moved at an alarming rate down the stairs, something that had changed since the summers so long ago. "Mycroft!" you called again. You caught him at the bottom of the stairs before he could get out the door and yanked him around to face you. His gaze was stern, his eyes hard as rocks, his jaw rigid.

"Hi," you muttered with awkward happiness. He made no acknowledgement towards you. "Do you remember me?" you asked, although you already knew the answer. Why else would he walk out on you like that?

"Sadly, yes." Your heart stung at his response, but you bit your lip and wished it away; your happiness at seeing him overpowered the hurt. He must have noticed your momentary degradation because he opened up the conversation once again. "How are you Miss (y/l/n)?" You took awhile to answer and chose to study him instead. He stood tall, still taller than you. His suit was pleaded to perfection and he stood with a formal stature that suited someone of a high position, and a high ego. His hair had receded, but there was still a small flow to it that had retained itself since his childhood. You avoided the question, choosing instead to focus the conversation on him.

"You've changed Mycroft. You're so," you paused momentarily to find the right word, "stiff."

"Well that's the way I am now."

"That's not how I remember you."

"I'm surprised you remember, it's been so long." You frowned at him, but you knew he was right. Still, that was a low blow. It hadn't been your fault that you didn't come back the next summer, or the summer after, and so on. Your grandmother had fallen ill, and it was necessary that she be moved in town where a doctor could be right at hand when needed. And it wasn't like he was the only one who suffered.

"If I could've come back I would, you know that. Please just let me explain," you begged, grabbing a hold of his hand. He glared down menacingly at your gentle touch, then tugged his hand away.

"I'm a very busy man (y/n)." He attempted to leave out the door, and you almost let him, but since when were you someone who left without putting up a fight? You barreled past him and slammed the door before he had one foot out of it. He had been pushed to the side, up against the wall, due to the force of you. He stood there, a pained and angry look drawn into the lines of his face.

"Mycroft Siger Holmes," you declared out of breath, "what happened to you?"

A/N

So I'm at the beach with my fam and there's 19 of us in one house. Today the weather has been: sun, rain, lots of wind, hail, and thunder and lightning. Wish the thunder and lightning would have stayed longer... But the house is cool. Got arcades and ping pong and foosball and such. Also really close to the beach and there is a hobbit house on the way. Totally feel like I'm in The Shire when I'm by it.

How's life guys?

I feel like I have a lot to say but I'm so tired that I can't physically type it.

Going to watch Downton Abbey and then sleep.

Tell me what you think of this story so far.

Also. Please please please leave a request. Like a really cute request that's fluffy and such because I feel like I've been lacking on the fluffiness lately you know? Any character, I don't care.

Also. Thank you children. You know why I'm thanking you...

Reads. Comments. Votes.

Much love going out to you right now.