Chapter 27

Katherine's POV

The doctor was still looking at me, dead in the eye. I smirked back at her, even though my chest felt heavy and I was barely being able to hold in my tears I wouldn't give her the satisfaction to see me cry. After all something deep inside me was telling me that I should not appear weak in front of her.

The room was silent except for the sound of the machines that were keeping Amy alive. I don't know how long we stayed there, staring at each other. It seamed like hours but it probably wasn't more than a few short minutes. Finally she looked away. I turned my attention back to Amy. For a second I had forgotten that she was lying there, but now looking down at her bruised body I couldn't deny it.

"I have to ask you to leave the room right now though. As I said before visiting hours are over." She said dryly. I didn't look up at her.

"And as I said before, I'm not leaving. Call the security if you want. I'm not leaving without a fight." I heard her sigh. I was getting into her nerves. Good.

"I will have to ask again, you are in a in a hospital in the ICU wing. Several other patients are in desperate need of rest and calling security would disrupt their rest. "

"Well I guess we have reached a stalemate then." I said still not bothering to look up at her. Again silence filled the room. Finally I hear her sigh.

"Fine, stay if you will. I have other patients to take care of." She said and turned around. She closed the door behind her.

Finally I was alone with Amy. Although that didn't bring me any peace, or any sense of relieve whatsoever. All I could do was look down at her and hold in my tears. Why? Why was this happening? This was supposed to be painless, an easy bet.

My mind was racing with all kinds of thoughts. Me, in love with her? Amy Addams, the girl I've hated since I first laid eyes on her. How messed up was that? It didn't make any sense.

Did I truly have feelings for her? Or maybe seeing her on this hospital bed stirred something deep inside me. Guilt perhaps. One thing I couldn't deny though, I was feeling something. I couldn't quite place what it meant, but I didn't like it one bit.

I just wanted her to wake up now. That would make me put things into perspective and finally figure out what the hell was happening inside me. I breathed deeply still not taking my eyes off of her. And just like that I drifted off to sleep.

Manuel's POV

I watched the small screen of the elevator as it slowly ascended. For the past week I have been coming to the hospital to visit Amy. Every step I took towards her room filled me a mixture of hope and dread. It much reminded me of Schrödinger's cat, I had no idea what I would find inside.

Since I found out about her accident my chest was in a constant state of pain. A strong tightness that made it hard to breathe, almost as if a strong hand was squeezing my heart. That's how I felt all the time.

And what could I do? My best friend was lying in a hospital bed trapped in a coma with no prediction of waking up. And there was nothing I could do, not a single fucking thing.

My legs drove me forward in a mindless motion to the room I've come to know so well in the past week. I gently and silently opened the door. Amy was lying down on the bed, looking as peaceful as the last time I'd seen her. Although this time something was different. Beside her bed in a small chair was a girl. Blonde and tall. She was looking at Amy, almost like if she was hypnotized.

She didn't even realize I had gotten into the room. I didn't really know what to do in that situation. I knew who she was, Amy had told me about her once. Honestly I didn't really like her, from what Amy told me there was something off about her.
Even though I could clearly see that Amy was head over heels for her. I could see it just by the way she talked about her, her eyes seemed to shine when she did. And that's what I was afraid of, I was afraid that this Katherine girl would hurt her.

Right now the thought of Amy having a broken heart didn't bother me one bit though, at least she would be physically ok, and right now that was the only thing I wanted.
I couldn't bare the silence anymore, I coughed lowly to tell her I was there. She abruptly lifted her head and looked at me. She frowned.

"And who the hell are you?" She asked looking at me straight in the eye. I was taken aback by her sudden phrase.

"My name is Manuel. I'm Amy's friend." I cussed myself. How come my accent would get so much stronger when I talked to someone I didn't know?

She looked and me almost cocking her head to the side. She looked back at Amy.

"You're the one that answered her phone." She said. Wasn't a question, she was just saying it. But yet I replied.

"Yes." Silence broke off, I shifted the weight from one leg to another. Not comfortable at all with this situation.

"You spent the night here?" I asked trying to break the ice. Didn't work.

"Yes." She said. And again silence. I sighed. Well that wasn't about to change any time soon.

I shrugged and took the chair on the other side of her bed. After all I was here to see my friend regardless to anyone else. She looked up and me and rolled her eyes realizing that I was going to stay. I sighed, this was going to be a long ass day...