Chapter 5

April's P.O.V

My mate is finally able to get out of the infirmary today and I am so happy! 

For the past few days, he has been distant to me, and at first I thought it was something that I did, but then I noticed that he was like that with everyone. 

What happened to him to make him this way?

Whatever did happen, I will show him that with me, it won't be that way and that I will show him what it's like to be loved.

I walk in the room to see that he was getting out of the bed. At the sound of my footsteps, he looks up at me with a blank look, but his eyes hold a certain softness to them- along with curiosity and wonderment. 

I walk over to him and help him out of the bed. How is it possible that he is so muscular but skinny at the same time? Once my hand makes contact with his arm, he flinches a bit but then relaxes just the slightest. 

I helped him walk over to the bathroom so he can take a shower, but then he just stops. I turn to him and notice that his face is as white as paper. I rush up to him, grab his face and make him look me in the eyes. When his focus is on me, I ask, "are you okay?"

He is breathing roughly and then he swallows before answering, "Is there a different bathroom that I may use? Maybe one with a stand up shower?" 

I look at him a bit weirdly, before nodding and bringing him to another bathroom on this floor. I let him take his shower, while I go and look for some clothes for him to borrow. I go to Nate's room and see him playing some video games with Crystal lying down on his lap watching him. 

I ask him if my mate can borrow some of his clothes and when I told him that he was a little bit taller than him, he went to grab some of his bigger clothes. I thank him, and grab the clothes from his hands, saying goodbye to the both of them and then walk over to the bathroom that I left him in.

When I get there, I see him walk out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist and him shaking the water out of his hair. He looks up and sees me in the doorway- no doubt that my mouth is probably touching the floor with a bit of drool coming out of it. What can I say, my mate is one handsome specimen. 

I close my mouth and give him Nate's clothes and then turn around so he could put them on. When I don't hear anything after a few minutes, I slowly turn around to see him watching me with a bit of curiosity. I walk over to him and grab his hand to bring him to his room. He flinches and then slowly pulls his hand out of mine, leaving me with a broken heart.

I turn around to look at him, trying not to cry, and see him looking at his hand with furrowed eyebrows. 

"What are you doing to me?" he asks. He looks up from his hands to me with the same thoughtful look on his face. I look back at him with confusion, wondering what he is talking about. I decide to word my question, "what do you mean? I'm just trying to show you to your room."

He looks at me, then back to his hand, and then back to me, "why does my body tingle whenever you touch me? It's starting to freak me out."

Does he not know about mates? I walk over to him, and watch him take a step back. I stop, noticing he is uncomfortable, and then reply to his question, "What pack were you from?" 

When he looks at me in confusion, I ask him another question, "I am your mate, do you know what mates are?" I stare at him, waiting for him to answer my questions. He sighs out in frustration, running a hand through his hair and tugging at the roots.

"What in Gods name is a freaking mate?!? The voice in my head won't stop yelling that word and he keeps pounding my head, and giving me a headache! Besides why would I be in a 'pack', is that something where monsters like I am are supposed to be?" he finishes. 

I look at him wide-eyed. Does he not know about werewolves? I let it go and tell him to follow me, he does so and we walk over to his room right across from mine. I would have asked him to join me in mine, but he already seems uncomfortable with me so I don't want to push him.

"This is going to be your new room from now on," I tell him. I turn around, almost expecting him to be right behind me, but he still hasn't walked through the doorway. "Aren't you going to come in?"

He stays in the doorway, just slightly poking his head in to look around. Then he looks at me with that same blank look on his face. Does he ever smile? Or show any emotion for that matter?

I made a signal for him to come inside the room and he finally does. "Why are you being so nice to me?" He said. "Why wouldn't I be nice to you?"

He walks over to his bed and sits down on it, folding his hands. He looks up at me, genuine sadness on his face. Okay maybe not on his face, but more in his eyes. "I've never had anyone besides my mother be nice to me. When you spend some time alone in the woods, you tend to figure out that nobody will be nice to you."

I looked at him, wondering what the hell happened to make him this way. I decided to be a little courageous and ask him something that has been bugging me.

"What did you do to make yourself become alone? I mean, where is your mother and father?" 

He just looked at the carpeted floor for a few minutes before looking at me, "what's your name?"

I looked at him a bit in confusion before answering him, "It's April and yours?"

"Aiden."

I smiled at him, that name suited him. I don't know how or why, but it just does. "So are you going to answer my question Aiden?"

He took a deep breath before answering me, "I became a monster April. A big furry monster. That's why I was never shown kindness, that's why I am alone." 

I looked at him in shock. How could he think he was a monster? I was about to ask him just that but I was stopped by him climbing under the covers and turning away from me. I sighed before walking towards the door, "goodnight Aiden."

I didn't hear him say anything else so I walked outside of his room and closed the door. I walked over to mine and got ready for bed.

Once I was finished and under my covers, I heard my wolf say, why doesn't our mate want to be near us?

"I don't know Clarity," I replied

We won't give up on him right? She asked

"Not until our dying breath," was my answer.

With that I fell asleep dreaming of my handsome yet distant mate in the room next door.