36.1 - 'As The Minutes Tick By'

Chapter – 36

Klaus's POV.

The clouds were like smoke, as they drifted around the black moonlit sky. I stared at them – I stared at them so intently that I wouldn't have been surprised if they just suddenly decided to up and leave from the harshness of my glare and disappear. Of course though. – It wasn't the measly clouds which caused my burning anger to run through my veins; or my fists to sustain a constant fisted position around the steering wheel, as I almost unconsciously weaved myself through the traffic, which was slowly dying down as the hours ticked by.

I tried not to think of her, but it was hard; her smile, her eyes, just her as a whole ran on repeat in my mind, and every time it did, I would stop breathing.- I would stop concentrating on the road, as my stomach dropped and my chest clenched up so hard that I felt like I was suffocating. I never realized that such a powerful emotion was possible. Before this, I never knew what real fear felt like. I'd never truly had to deal with the feeling of dread. Before this, nothing in this world was truly 'scary' to me. I was the most powerful being of my kind – The most powerful kind in existence. So fear to me wasn't real, but this emotion could cripple me with just one thought, scared me so much that I found it hard to concentrate on anything else. I don't know how many times I'd thought of how to stop this from happening, making plans in my head which changed with every waking minute. I'd never had this- I'd never been in such a state of panic that quite literally my mind was going into a state of survival mode; thinking up any way possible to get me out of this mess. To save my Sky.

"Klaus man, seriously let me drive... " I tore my eyes away from staring aimlessly in front of me, to see Ethan looking at me panicked.

"No" I growled.

"You've nearly gone up the end of four cars in the last ten minutes. You're in no state of mind to be driving. You will kill us before we can even get there."

"We're not dead yet are we?" I argued- my eyes in slits as I pushed the pedal down, darting down the middle of a set of cars traveling parallel to each other.

"Klaus pull over!" Ethan demanded, and I growled furiously at him. I was 'his' alpha! Not the other way around!

"Klaus" He sighed, "I'm not asking you to stop driving, I'm just asking you to pull over so I can get out."

"Do you have no faith in my driving!" I growled.

"I have some yes, but with Quinn, in the car, I cannot afford to take the risk. I will not let you put him in danger." He told me with complete honesty in his eyes. I could feel my own eyes soften and the speedometer slowed somewhat, as I looked in the mirror to see Quinn in the back beside Wesley. He was sleeping. My heart clenched even more as my throat dried. I saw in Ethan's mind how much he felt for his mate, how much he would rather stand up to me to protect him, rather than just back-down to me like his instincts were telling him to. His bond to Quinn was so strong, it was enough to send me over the edge- my emotions I'd been holding back came out with full force. His bond with Quinn reminded me of my bond with Sky.

I pulled over to the side of the freeway – motorway? At this point, I just don't care and got out. I yanked open the door before my hands un-consciously gripped my head roughly in frustration. I just want to keep her safe. I didn't know tears were beginning to collect at the bottom of my closed eyes until I felt one on my hand.

"Get in, we gotta go" I looked over at Wesley for the first time in a while, not bothering to hide my now teary eyes from him. – He was my brother after all. I nodded and jumped over the car to the now empty front passenger seat as Ethan - despite his previous claim, took the driving position.