[ 27 ] A B A P

Previously on Fool me twice, Shame on me

Despite their friendship on the rocks, Aaliyah was still willing to protect Emery from Stacey's wrath and set her plan in motion to infiltrate herself in Stacey's clique in order to gather secrets which she felt could help Emery.

Noel and Emery ended up going on a date despite Emery having second thoughts. Their date coincided with the basketball appreciation party hosted at Dean's house. The majority of the Roosevelt students were planning to attend the event including every member of the Red-hawks (Roosevelt's basketball team). Despite Melvin (Dean's father) inviting Emery and her dad to the event, the latter still chose to go on her date with Noel which is later revealed to take place in a bowling alley.

Problems arose when the couple faced a rival named Quentin who happened to be captain of the BlackLions team (The team that is soon to compete against the Red-hawks). The athlete seemed to know a lot about Emery and heightened her suspicions of Noel.

➴       ➵      ➴      ➵     ➴      ➵

•  C H A P T E R

T W E N T Y   S E V E N  

We put back our bowling shoes at the receptionist before exiting the place. The atmosphere has become rigid as we head back to his car.

After the talk him and Quentin had, Noel was in a hurry to leave but I didn't budge since I was determined to learn how to strike.

I ended up staying at the bowling alley for another 15 minutes whereas Noel didn't feel like playing anymore.

We barely spoke to each other since I was too focused on my task and preoccupied with my thoughts, while he decided to surf his phone. Whatever I thought of saying to him, I was saving it for later.

A lot of questions are running through my head when I think about what Quentin said earlier. Based on what the conversation they had, I can tell that Quentin has a bad history with the Red-hawks.

The thing that really struck me was when he asked whether I remembered him. If he knows me from somewhere then surely it could mean that he used to go to Roosevelt High.

Was he also part of the Red-hawks team?

If so, then why did he affiliate with Parkland Academy knowing they're Roosevelt's High biggest rivalry?

"Please don't tell me you're still thinking about that jackass?" Noel breaks me out of my thoughts by the time we're on the road.

I scrunch up my face. "Can you blame me for still thinking about it? Who is that guy?"

Noel groans. "He goes to Parkland Academy . . .captain of the basketball team. Can we please talk about something else?"

He taps his forefingers on the steering wheel repeatedly as the words escape his lips.

A muscle in my jaw twitches, as I'm unable to drop the subject. "How does he know me exactly? I mean I've never met the guy..."

"How should I know?" he says in a dismissive tone.

"What aren't you telling me exactly?"

Based on how he's trying to avoid the conversation, it's pretty clear that he's hiding something.

With his hand on the steering wheel, he signs exasperatedly. "Nothing . . .I just don't like to talk about that guy and I'd really appreciate it if we could talk about something else."