Chapter 7. Distance

Akira slowly opened her eyes as she awoke. She blinked her eyes several times and lifted her head, stretching her neck out. She looked down as she felt something on her leg. Aoba was asleep, his head resting on her leg. She looked up, seeing that it was day time now. She remembered last night. After running for so long, Akira and Aoba both decide to stop and rest before proceeding on to Platinum Jail. She placed a hand on Aoba's shoulder, shaking him a little.

"Aoba. Wake up." She whispered. He groaned a little and then started to sit up. She rubbed his back, "Morning."

"Morning. You sleep okay?"

"Well...as good as sleeping against a wall will let me. I'm a little stiff." She massaged her shoulder and then started to get to her feet. Aoba followed her example and he stretched. Akira sighed, "I suppose we should get going?"

"Yeah." Akira took his hand and they proceeded on. As they came upon the entrance to the resort. It was like an empty train station without anyone in it or any trains. Just as they were going to head to the doorway, they heard someone call out to them.

"Aoba! Akira!" The voice called again. Aoba and Akira turned around and saw Koujaku running to catch up to them. Aoba let out a soft groan.

"Be prepared for an earful." He said. When Koujaku finally caught up to them and caught his breath, he did just that.

"You were really going to go there by yourselves?" Koujaku questioned.

"Yeah, well...We ran into trouble and we didn't want to bother you with it, okay?" Aoba replied.

"Don't give me that BS. You, Akira, and I are practically siblings, Aoba. I've always got your back, you know that." Aoba chuckled.

"Sorry about that." Koujaku sighed.

"It's fine. Let's go."

"Yeah."

They started to the door, but then the lights shut off and they heard a fanfare start up.

"Whoa! What the hell?!" Koujaku exclaimed as the three of them got into a defensive stance. Aoba pushed Akira behind him. A spotlight lit up as they saw someone standing in front of the doorway, wearing clown-like panda bear suit.

"Welcome to Japan's largest and finest amusement facility for love, dreams, and healing for weary body, mind, and soul! Platinum Jail! But, only the chosen can enter this facility. It's heaven on earth! Did you gentleman and lady remember your invitations?"

"Good God, what is that thing?" Akira asked. Koujaku opened something up in his watch.

"It's right here." He said.

"You got one of those invitations too?" Aoba asked.

"Well, then," The man in the panda bear suit said, "please enjoy all that we have to share to your heart's content." He laughed and then the floor opened beneath him, causing him to fall through.

"Now, that's suspicious as hell." Koujaku said.

"No kidding." Aoba agreed.

"Go on! Go on! Have the time of your lives!" The man in the panda suit's voice said. With that, the doors opened. Akira swallowed hard and she gripped Aoba's hand and then reached for Koujaku's. He smiled and grasped ahold of her hand.

"Don't worry, Akira. We're here for you." He assured. Akira nodded and they walked inside.

Platinum Jail was like a well lit city, full of lights and technology. Screens of shows and ads were playing all over the place. People were roaming the clean streets, all with the look of contentment on their faces. Although it was obvious that the faces of content and joy were fake. They were the kind of smiles one would expect to see on an old porcelain doll. Platinum Jail is separated from the Old Resident District by a giant wall. The weather and daytime is controlled here, and is always set on night time, so guests are able to party any day, any time. Unlike in the Old Resident District, the sky is very clear and stars are always visible.