The Billionaire's Housekeeper - Chapter 19

The countdown to his return passed by in painstaking moments of business meetings and utter dread. Despite the daily calls to the children and Betsy, Nick was desperate to return home to see the damage left in the wake of his in-laws. Yet, no matter how much he yearned to return home early to see them all, the deal with the Giannopoulos family was so close to completion it would be foolish to waste the opportunity.

And Nick was no fool.

It was why he had remained even when he heard his little girl's sadness as she told him how much she missed him. It was why he remained even though he wanted nothing more than to spend time with his children and Betsy. And it was why he had readily agreed when Markos extended an invitation to his Greek home for a few days.

The car pulled up on his driveway at just three in the afternoon. An unfamiliar family car sat by the front door but, even though a frown formed between his brows, Nick trusted his security team to screen persons coming on to his property. They had learnt from the in-law fiasco.

The car door pulled open and Nick seamlessly slid from the seat and stared up at the vast structure and sighed. He was home. Nick shook his head. He was getting soft and it was all Betsy's fault.

His driver nodded his head and closed the car door behind him.

"Have a good evening, sir."

Raising a brow, Nick smiled at the younger man. "Really? Sir? You don't always need to be so formal."

Laughing, the younger man's eyes twinkled as he replied. "I know, but it's so much easy to annoy you." He paused before adding, "Sir."

Walking away with his lips turned up into the smallest smile, Nick called over his shoulder. "Get home to your wife and I'll see you tomorrow."

Laughter rang out behind him but Nick completely ignored it. His eyes were on the front door which swung open and then his children were barrelling towards him. He had just enough time to drop his suitcase to the ground before he opened his arms to catch the small bodies of his children and pull them into a tight hug.

Closing his eyes for several long seconds, Nick took comfort in their affection. And then when he opened his eyes, he smiled over at Betsy. She leant against the door frame, arms folded across her chest with a relaxed smile playing on her lips. He drank in everything about her, from the way her curls hung around her face to the way she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. There were no visible signs of stress – it didn't mean there weren't any.

Raising her brows as his searching look, Betsy shook her head with the smile firmly in place. "We're all fine." She mouthed but made no attempt to intrude on his moment with the children.

Focusing back on the children, Nick tightened his arms around their bodies before snagging his briefcase with his fingers. They both giggled loudly, their arms wrapping around his body as they clung on tightly.

"Have you two been good for Betsy?"

"Yes Daddy," Delilah giggled, looking up at him with her chin propped against his chest. "We went out for dinner with Nanny."

"That's great, Lilah." Nick responded before pressing his lips together to stop a laugh from escaping his mouth. The thought of anyone call his mother-in-law 'nanny' was just hilarious.

He stopped before Betsy. She gently stretched out her hand and took his briefcase out of his hold, her fingers brushing against his in the process. It made Nick his arms weren't full of tiny people as he wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and kiss those upturned lips. Instead, he leant forwards a brushed a kiss across his cheek, lingering for just a moment as he enjoyed her scent.