The Billionaire's Housekeeper - Chapter 30

It felt strange to be counting down the six week summer holidays, the time between the end of the school year and the start of a new one, with equal amounts of trepidation and anticipation. Betsy was excited that the children would finally get to experience the simple joys that of being a kid without the overwhelming security Nick insisted upon. And yet, when that day came, it would end her employment with Nick.

Betsy sighed into her coffee cup before taking a huge sip of the unsweetened hit of caffeine. Her shoulders slumped as she swallowed.

"I've got to ask, what have you done to Nick?" Claire asked, sliding gracefully into the chair beside her sister in a cloud of Jean Paul Gautier perfume. "I've never seen him behave like this. What's happening between the two of you?"

"I told him we needed some space. And... I kind of handed in my notice."

Betsy ducked her head as her big sister sucked in a deep breath. "Oh Betsy," Claire murmured, hugging her tighter and pressing her lips to her hair. "Are you okay?"

Betsy blinked rapidly to fight back the tears before shaking her head in the negative. "No, I'm not alright. I had to do this, but why is it so hard. Being sensible hurts."

Claire sighed and hugged her tighter still. "Sometimes the right path is not the easiest."

"Thanks Yoda." Betsy chuckled sadly, before pulling away and taking another gulp of her coffee and enjoying the way it burned down her throat. "I care about him; more than I have ever cared about another man. I just know that we can't have a proper relationship if he's paying my wages."

"That's understandable. I always thought that part was a bit weird. I mean, dating your boss is a bit cliché."

Betsy hand shot out and she lightly smacked her sister on her arm.

"Hey! You know it's true. Nothing good ever comes from dating the boss." Claire defended, hands raised in front of her to ward off any more blows. "I put you forward for the job with Nick to help you. I tried everything I could to try and take away your pain but I just didn't seem to be helping."

"And I appreciated everything you tried to do."

"I failed though. I still didn't manage to help you."

"It did help, but not as you thought." Betsy frowned as she glanced down at her hands. "It helped knowing you cared and that I had your support. I just think I had to figure out how to help myself. It was the only way for me to move on. I had to be the one to choose it."

Claire stretched out her hand and laid it on top of her sister's much smaller hand. "That being said, I didn't imagine this thing between you two would happen. Despite the reputation the papers give him, Nick has never been one to cross professional boundaries. At least, not until..."

"Not until me?"

Claire smiled. "Not until you."

Betsy groaned and bowed her head. She was such a walking cliché. The housekeeper who fell in love with her rich boss. How had she let it happen?

Claire, oblivious to her sister's inner turmoil, continued talking. "And, as much as I hate to admit it, you have been good for him and he has been good for you. The kids have been good for you too. Now you just need to decide if that is enough to go forward."

Betsy sighed and started at the dregs in the bottom of her cup as if she could divine her future within them. "I'm trying."

"What's the hold up?"

"Nicholas." Betsy answered simply, lifting her gaze to her sister. "You know how he is."

"I do," Claire agreed, nodding her head as she did so. "But you've known the man he is the entire time. Why is it now becoming a problem?"