4

"You know, you try and be nice and the asshole leaves you hanging," I mutter to myself as I pace back and forth in the generator room. It's really more of a closet if you ask me, it's hot and dingy but it's also loud which is why we're here, or rather I am here but good ole Reese isn't.

I'm almost ready to leave and forget this whole thing when the door opens and in steps Reese. He looks around outside for good measure before closing the door.

"And you told me to be on time," I poke at him.

"Sorry, I got held up. Your father had an errand but I'm here now so let's get to business." He looks around suspiciously before he proceeds. "I asked you here because I know I'll never get you to pass if you don't have some lesson that captivates your mind. So, I'm going to set up some solo runs and we'll see how that goes."

He puts extra emphasis on solo and I get it, so I nod in agreement.

"Why are you doing this? I didn't peg you for a rule breaker, Reese." I have to shout a little louder than normal with the whirling from the generator competing with my voice.

"Because, for once, I think your dad is wrong. Experience is the best lesson for this sort of thing and it's obvious we aren't going to get a blessing to proceed from him."

"So that means you think I'm right, don't you? Go ahead Reese, please just say it." I smile from ear to ear because I want to see the words leave his lips. I'm not joking.

He grimaces before laughing and nods, "Yes Liv, for once in your rotten life, you are right. Now, I'm wanting to make this quick but meet me here tomorrow morning and I'll let you know what times I've set aside for us to venture out above ground."

I start dancing. I'm so giddy. I haven't left this building since the beginning of it all. I could kiss Reese for this but that's disgusting so I stop myself from doing so and instead continue to dance.

"Settle down,would you? The first sign of trouble from you and we're back inside. I mean it, Lively." He points his finger down at me and I stick my tongue out at him. I know, I'm childish.

"Aye, aye captain," I say and mock salute him much like I did my dad. Truth is, right now I'm so excited Reese could tell me to butter myself up and mud wrestle a pig and I'd do it. I don't need to pick a fight with him. Right now we're cohorts instead of enemies and maybe that isn't a bad thing.

I return to my room shortly after our meeting and fake a headache because I just don't want to be around anyone. I'm afraid that my father would take one look at me and know that something was up. I'm a terrible liar and with it being freshly conceived, my excitement wouldn't be contained.

So I subject myself to mundane tasks like cleaning---yuck. I try to read from some of the books I've managed to finagle into my room but, the truth is, I'm so damn excited I can't even sit still. If I can't handle twenty minutes of reading, which is one of the things I love most in this world, I know I'm not going to be getting much sleep tonight.

My only idea would be to try to get into the lab again, but I know whoever has guard duty will have strict orders to send me away, no matter how much I grovel. I so desperately miss my lab and all of the files I have stored away in a secret place. It sucks that I can't research anything tonight, or until I pass my training.

Something will have to give. I can't handle not being there doing what I do best because I happened to be in danger from being bitten or worse. It's not like they've had any zombies chilling in the holding areas anyway. I know I'd be out of harm's way.

I plop down on my bed and growl into my pillow. I finally decide I'll watch an old movie we've had lying around. Even with that droning on in my room I still find myself unsettled and antsy.

It's sometime after midnight when I finally give up pacing in my room and decide to wander the halls again. Maybe the walk will do me some good. I'm in my own thoughts as I casually walk, so I don't notice that someone else is stalking the hallways this late at night too.

"Couldn't sleep, Princess?" Reese says casually walking up from behind me. He's shirtless which makes it even more awkward.

I jump, my heart racing. "Jesus H Christ, Reese! Could you warn a person before you sneak up on them?"

He shrugs and we walk for some time quietly before my heart settles into a regular rhythm .

"You never answered my question." He says looking straight forward.

"Mhhm?" I say in a trance.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asks again.

"Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner." I jest.

He doesn't say anything to that response, instead, we start walking in silence again. It isn't until we've doubled back to my room before he says anything again.

"I couldn't either, I'm worried about it." He looks down, and I think that maybe he's not saying something more.

"Why would you have to worry? You've been out there plenty. It's my ass that's grass if shit happens."

He looks up and I see it in his eyes. Concern. Genuine and strong and it's not for him.

"Oh," I say and look away uncomfortable that he's feeling that way toward me.

"Yeah, it's not me I'm worried about, Princess. I mean, I will be if you die and I come back alone. Your dad would more than likely hang me." He rubs my arm gently and I half-heartedly pretend to be disgusted. He knows that I'm not, though, so I drop the act just as fast as I started it.

"You're his best runner, Reese. I don't think he'd hang you. I'm sure he'd be pissed but trust me, he wouldn't be too upset about me being gone." I try my best to console him, but I'm terrible with shit like this so I hope he understands.

"You really are dense when it comes to people aren't you, Liv? Your father would never forgive me, or himself, if you were ever harmed. I know it doesn't seem like it, but, he does care for you. I don't know the history but you've got to give the man a chance."

That catches me off guard. It nicks me a bit, "You're right, Reese. You don't know the history so back the hell off." We've made it to my door, so I run in and slam the door in his face, I'm not even sorry I made the noise. I hope someone is bothered by it, hopefully, they'll report it and my father will come and scold me.

I'd rather that happen than the emotions I'm feeling inside. They're eating me alive and all I want to do is cry. I'm not going to, though, as much as my body says I should. Instead, I plop down hard onto my bed and try to get some sleep.

Only, it doesn't really come and again when it does, Mr. Hungry haunts me or is it my mother?