28

"Fire!"

There's screaming outside of Nathan's door and I jump with a start. Nate groggily sits up, too tired from the fight to really understand what's taking place.

I swing the door open and watch as terror fills the hallways in the form of scared people.

Something is definitely off, but what exactly is the cause for this commotion? I step into the chaos and brace myself. I can't just stand by and do nothing.

Suddenly Nathan's walking next to me, his eyes are wide but his body language says nothing else to his surprise. I'm shaking with adrenaline so I take his hand for comfort and he doesn't pull away.

Drake storms up to Nate, his eyes are serious and in that moment I know we're truly in trouble. "Boss needs us now," He turns--looking for more of the Goon Squad.

"Got any idea what's going on?"

Drake nods and then looks to me and then back at Nathan.

"Drake, for fuck's sake, don't protect me. I can handle the truth," I rake through my hair angrily.

"Boss said--"

"Boss isn't here, so spill."

"Intruders have taken the top of the building and are now descending down the shaft for us," He blurts out then speeds away having spotted someone else.

Intruders. That word sticks with me but I don't quite comprehend until screams ring out ahead of us and some unknown person is standing over a woman's lifeless body, laughing about it.

My stomach drops and I immediately reach for my neck in concern. Nathan's already bringing out his knife and assuming the defense position.

I've never fought against someone living other than Reese and Lou. I'm not prepared for this, any of this but then I think of Reese, I think of Louise--sweet Louise and her brother, my best friend Dean.

My life isn't as important as making sure they're safe, but they're in opposite directions. Reese in the lab, Lou, and her brother on the other end of the compound. I shout out to Nathan, "We have to save Reese, I have to get to Lou and Dean!"

He looks at me for a second and nods before he turns and collides with the madman who's been taking out innocent people. Nate tries to sideswipe him but fails and the result is the guy's knife raking across Nathan's bicep. Blood seeps out in shiny red beads before they become too heavy to hold that form and drip down.

I want to go help him, but I'm being tugged in several directions. I'm frozen in place unsure of who I go to when Nate overtakes DoucheMcBaggins and slices his throat in a quick stroke, effectively cutting off his scream with garbled chokes.

I don't even look back when I take off toward Dean and Lou's room. I'm clotheslined by an arm when I turn the corner, my breath knocking out of me when I hit the ground.

A woman's boot presses into my midsection and my eyes follow it up to a dirty, skanky redhead with dreads. She's covered in filth and her teeth are yellow when she smiles at me menacingly. "My aren't you just the sweet thang Sug," She says her voice heavy with a southern twang, "sure would be a shame if something happened to ya."

I know what's planning to do in that instant and I grab her boot and roll, effectively bringing her down to my level. We wrestle and at first I'm taking the upper hand but then she kicks out and overturns my hold on her.

Her breath is hot and abhorrent, it's an assault on my senses, "Well bless your pretty little heart Sug, here I thought we were going to make great friends. I was mistaken, can't never trust a Yank."