Revenge

Riley was tired of it. She was tired of him. The way he carried himself, the way he thought he could get away with something like this made her sick.

"Ri." Tommy nudged her with his elbow as he drove her truck to the diner.

"Huh?" She was lost in thought. She stared at Tommy who was looking at her with those patient blue eyes.

How can he be so calm about this? She thought.

"I was asking you if you were excited for this weekend?" He put his hand on her lap and smiled when she grasped it softly with both hands.

"This weekend?" She asked while averting her gaze from him back to the window, watching the blurred buildings pass them by.

"Anna's wedding." He stopped the truck at the red light and lifted his fingers to her chin, drawing her attention back to him. "Are you okay?" He asked, knowing that she wasn't. How could she forget her best friends wedding.

She stared back at him with a frown. "No. Yes. Ugh." She shook her head and put a hand on her forehead. "I'm excited yes, but I'm not okay. You shouldn't be okay. Why are you so calm?"

The car behind Tommy honked their horn. The light was green and Tommy let out a sigh. "People need to be more patient." He let off the brake and eased on the gas. "I'm calm because I have to be."

"No. You have to find him and make him pay." Riley swallowed the lump in her throat. The hairs on her neck stood up after she said it, make him pay. She wasn't a violent person. She was just fed up.

"Make him pay?" Tommy pulled the truck over and turned in his seat to face her completely. "Riley." He let out a deep breath and pulled her toward him. "Don't think that way. I'm gonna handle it. The last thing I want is for you to start thinking like fighter." He kissed the top of her head.

Riley didn't want him to see that she was now crying so she stayed in his arms, face pulled into his chest. She thought of what could have happened. She thought of Ryan's sly grin as he passed the man the envelope of money. She wiped her tears away from her face and pulled back from Tommy's grasp. She said as strong and steady as she could, "I hate him."

"Are you sure about this?" Anna asked Riley as she placed a small duffle bag into the passenger seat of her SUV.

"Yes. Tommy isn't going to do anything about it." Riley got into Anna's car and adjusted the mirrors. She pulled the rear view down a bit, showing her own reflection. Her eyes were tired, her face pale from stress. She looked unfamiliar.

Good. She thought. She didn't want to remember herself this way.

"I just don't think its a very good idea." Anna slid into the passenger seat, clutching onto the duffle bag.

"Its fine. I have it all planned out." Riley switched the radio on and pressed the buttons until she was content with the music.

"Yeah but shouldn't we at least tell someone?" Anna lowered the music and stared at her best friend. She would do anything for her, but this just didn't seem smart.

"Anna. I got this." Riley twisted the volume nob until all that could be heard was the blaring guitars of Avenged Sevenfold. She needed this. Revenge. And it was going to be sweet.

By the time the girls pulled up to Ryan's house it was past ten. It was pitch black, except for a few lamps outside people's gated driveways. Riley lowered the window and leaned out, ready to open the gate.

"What if he changed the combination?" Anna asked nervously.

"He's had the same combination for years. He hasn't changed it." She punched in the numbers and smiled when the gate began to slide open.