Impulsive

Riley was flushed. Her cheeks were red, her skin clammy. She didn't understand why someone would do something like this.

The broken glass littered the storefront. Shattered green letters that were hand painted on the windows were spread all around the sidewalk and suddenly she thought of all the time it would take to clean up. Stephen was waiting impatiently to get a broom and start sweeping. He was the one that found the store this way and called Riley before he even called the police. But now the police were there and wouldn't let anyone in until they secured the scene and took pictures.

Tommy pulled up far too quickly and had to slam the brakes on Riley's truck, not expecting to see the cruisers in front of the shop. The officer who was standing with Riley turned at the sound of screeching tires and put a hand out to stop Tommy from entering the crime scene.

"Sir, this is a closed part of the sidewalk."

"It's okay. He's with me." Riley interjected, not that it would have mattered. Tommy was getting in no matter what.

"What happened? Are you okay? Were you in there?" He asked a million questions, examining her to the fullest and double checking her stomach.

"Someone broke into the shop and took the whole window out with them." She explained. She hadn't been able to before, leaving him hanging on the phone with nothing but a few quick sentences.

"But you're okay?"

"Yeah I'm just mad. We don't know if they took anything yet, but all this glass is everywhere." Riley was just as impatient as Stephen. She wanted to clean. She wanted everything to go back to normal.

The police officer who was surveying the shop came back out to let them know that it was okay to go inside. "Doesn't seem like anything was touched other than the glass here. Of course once you take a look around, give us a call if you find anything missing."

Riley nodded and Stephen was already halfway through the store. Tommy held Riley again, knowing this couldn't be easy to see. She stayed quiet in his arms for a moment. A million thoughts were running through her mind. She didn't know for certain but something in the pit of her stomach told her that this wasn't normal. This wasn't just an ordinary run of the mill case of vandalism.

"You don't think..." she started, hesitating at the thought. "You don't think Ryan had anything to do with this right?"

Tommy shook his head. "Why would you think he did?"

"I️ don't know. This just doesn't seem right. Why would anyone just break the glass?" Riley chewed on the inside of her cheek. "You said no one knows where he is right? Well, what if he's trying to get back at us?"

"Riley. That mother fucker knows he'll be dead if he ever tries to get within ten feet of you. I️ made sure of it."

————————————-

Riley kicked herself in the ass as she helped Stephen put up the last piece of plywood where the window used to be. She knew she shouldn't have been so cheap when it came to the store's security. There were a few cameras in the store - her father made sure of that - but nothing facing the outside of the store. She spoke with the other store owners before she signed the lease to the space and no one ever seemed to have any issues.

The store was on a quiet street, with boutiques and bakeries, all prim and proper. She was paying a premium to be able to stay in the nice part of town, so she couldn't exactly chalk this up to be a petty crime.