Grand Opening [S1:E4]

|September 22 | Friday |

This was it.

Tonight was the grand opening of Jinx 2 and I was way too excited about it.

I walked out of the bedroom and found Megan sitting at the counter typing away on her computer. She noticed my presence and peered up at me through her reading glasses.

"Well, you look excited," she said. "Especially for seven in the morning."

"Yeah. And you look really hot," I countered.

"It's the glasses, huh?"

"It's definitely the glasses."

She just rolled her eyes and laughed.

"So are you gonna come visit me tonight at Jinx?" I asked.

She leaned on the table. "Hmm, I don't know. I have a lot of chores to do around the house and a test Monday..."

"It's Friday."

"And?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Megan."

"I'm just kidding, Sam. Of course I'll be there."

"You're not funny."

She smirked. "I'd beg to differ."

I took a moment to lean in and kiss her. If there was anyone I wanted there on my first day managing and bartending Jinx, it was Megan. I was nervous, but her presence would put me at ease.

I grabbed my keys. "Last day at Buddy's."

"Are you sad?"

"A little," I confessed.

She gave me a small smile. "You know you'll still see him around."

I sighed. "I know."

Before I could dwell my feet were bringing me to the door. Sure I was a little bummed out. I had spent an entire year working for Buddy and had learned a lot along the way. He was a good friend that had looked out for me and helped me conquer the challenges of a new town. It sucked knowing that after today my usual routine would no longer consist of heading to the shop.

I parked and exited my car. When I walked in the smell of freshly brewed coffee filled my nose. I couldn't help but smile.

I greeted the guys that sat behind my desk. "Morning."

"Well, good morning," Buddy answered.

"Don't be nice to her," Jake challenged. "She's leaving us."

I laughed. "Awe Jake, are you sad?"

He scoffed. "What? No. I'm happy."

"Oh? Happy I won't be around to embarrass you anymore?" I joked.

His playful grin fell from his lips.

"Alright kids," Buddy interjected. "That's enough."

"You'll miss the banters," I said.

"Yeah you two always make me laugh."

I beamed as I pulled the day's appointment sheet.

"Looks like a full schedule," I informed. "Should've figured my last day would be a long one."

Buddy stood from his chair. "Don't try to act all hard-ass now, Sam." He hugged my shoulders. "You'll miss us when it's over."

I smiled through the sadness. "You're right. I will."