New Hire [S2:E2]

| January 10 | Wednesday Evening |

I shivered as I hugged my winter coat tighter against my torso in hopes to retain any heat left in my body. As much as I enjoyed living in Missouri, the winters were always too much for me. Most people around here were fine, but I would much rather combat heat over cold any day.

Shoving my way through the back door of Jinx¸ I sighed in relief as the warmth surrounded me.

"Jas?" I called. "Danna?"

There was no answer, which meant I was the first one.

I slipped off my coat and hung it in storage, knowing they wouldn't be too far behind me.

Today we were having a few interviews for an extra bartender, which Quinton and Sara felt unnecessary, but help was needed now that Jinx was taking off. Although, I could understand their point.

We had a great team, and adding another person could potentially screw that up, but we had to keep a positive attitude about it.

I was stocking for about five minutes when Danna and Jas walked in together.

"Well, you're surprisingly early," Danna said. "What, Megan kicked you out?"

I laughed. "No. I'm just following my New Years resolution."

"Which is?" Jas inquired.

"Break my bad habits."

"Like being ten minutes late to every shift?"

I frowned. "Exactly."

"Hey," Danna said. "At least you show up."

I smirked. "You're right. I'm already above average." I set the last of the bottles I was stocking in the fridge. "So, how many interviews today?"

Danna scrolled through her phone. "Looks like three."

"Anything we're specifically looking for?" Jas asked.

"Fun, outgoing and personable," Danna answered.

I sighed. "Easy enough."

That's when the first interviewee walked through the door, a big smile on his face. I gave him an encouraging smile.

Then I joined Jas and Danna in the booth and got to work.

* * *

"Well, I'm hoping the last one works out because these two wouldn't be my first choice..." Danna looked over the first two applications. "Or my second, or third."

"They weren't that bad," Jas defended.

"Jas," I said. "The first guy was the most unrelatable person I've ever met, and the second girl looked like she's never drank a day in her life."

"They're just not what we're looking for," Danna added. "And they wouldn't be much help to Sara and Quinton. At least not right away."

"So, who's the last one?"

Danna scrolled through her phone. "Her name is... Mariah Caste."

The front door opened and all three of us looked up, only to be met with a light pair of eyes thickly outlined in black. Dyed blonde hair fell over her shoulders as she shimmied her coat off and approached us looking eager, but not too eager, like the first guy.

She reached out to Danna first. "Hi, I'm Mariah."

"Danna."

Mariah nodded. "You're the big boss."