In Sickness And In Health [S1:E14]

| November 8 | Wednesday |

I jolted awake. Wait. Why hadn't there been an alarm? What time was it? Did I really sleep through Megan leaving this morning?

My body sat up, but I realized Megan was still next to me. Charlie was still curled up in her bed. Then I looked at my phone and realized it was already eight o'clock.

Megan had overslept!

I ran my hand gently over her shoulder. "Megan?"

But no response.

This time, I moved into her and rocked her again, which finally got a response.

She groaned.

"Megan, you overslept."

"I'm not going to school," she claimed.

I furrowed my brow in confusion.

"Why?"

"Because I feel like shit."

"You're sick?" I wondered as my hand stroked her back. "Nauseated? Fever?"

"Yes and... probably yes, I don't know. Every time I get out of bed I want to puke," she informed.

"Do you want to go to a clinic?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because it's just a virus."

"Yeah but maybe they could-"

"Sam," Megan interrupted. "Please stop making me talk. It just makes it worse."

My heart deflated. Not because she had declined my attempts at conversation, but because she really wasn't feeling well. If there was anything Megan wasn't, it was a wimp. She had gone through an entire day of classes before breaking down and going to the clinic, only to find out she had a full-blown sinus infection. So, for her to miss school, I knew this was serious.

I stood from the bed and retrieved a small trash-bin and lined it with a bag, then set it next to her head on the floor.

"Just in case you need to puke..." I claimed.

"Thanks," she muttered painfully.

"Do you need anything? A wet towel? Some water...?"

She shook her head. "I just need sleep."

My shoulders shrunk in defeat as I left the room. I didn't like feeling helpless, but what could I do? I never had to take care of Megan. Most of the time, it was the other way around. She never got sick. Like, ever.

So, I did what I usually did and proceeded with chores around the house. I tried to be quiet for Megan's sake, especially since she was trying to sleep, and checked in on her every now and then.

It wasn't until around lunch that I heard her heaving in the bathroom.

I rushed to join her as she was hunched over the toilet, her knuckles white from the straining. I knelt next to her and gathered her long, dark hair to hold it away from her face.

Luckily, I wasn't easily grossed-out by puke, or its rank smell.

She stood and washed her mouth and face. I couldn't help but pity my girlfriend at the sight. She honestly looked like shit, but I wouldn't tell her that.

"Are you sure you don't need anything?" I wondered.

She declined before crawling back into bed.