Season 4: Episode 7

| April 15th | Monday Afternoon |

~ Megan's POV ~

Ava sits quietly next to me and works on her homework I had assigned today while I sit next to her and work on grading. The routine we had recently developed was nice, and I could tell it gave Ava comfort knowing she had a steady schedule after school now.

"Do you have any questions about the homework today, Ava?" I ask.

"No ma'am," she answers. "This one is easy."

I smile to myself and know that she was beginning to comprehend a lot more information faster now that her reading level was skyrocketing. Of course, she still struggled with math a lot, but that was something a lot of children couldn't grasp right away. Remaining patient and constantly reinforcing the rules of mathematics was key to helping her develop that area of skill.

"Miss Adams?"

"Yes?"

"Are you married?"

The question came out of nowhere. I stop jotting notes down in my gradebook and look at Ava, who's big brown eyes are now fully fixated on me. It seems as if she has finished all her homework and was searching for something else to entertain her.

"Um, no, not yet," I say.

"Why not?"

"Well, because me and my, uh..." I hesitate. "We just haven't set a date yet."

"Oh."

I try not to let her see the surprise on my face and hope she hadn't noticed me stumble on my words. Personally, I didn't think it was a bad thing to be honest with kids about same-sex relationships considering I didn't believe there was anything wrong with it. Unfortunately, if I did get too personal with Ava and she ends up telling the wrong person, this too could also come back and haunt me. Unfortunately, a lot of people still didn't feel comfortable with the idea of homosexual teachers teaching their young, impressionable children.

I can't help but roll my eyes at the thought, aware that way of thinking was completely ludicrous.

Refusing to continue that conversation, I check my watch and realize Lisa would be here in about thirty minutes. I rummage through my bag and realize I've forgotten some resources I had planned on giving her today when she picked up Ava, at home. I panic.

Shit, I think as I retrieve my phone to text Sam.

"Can you please grab those papers on the dining room table and bring them to me?" I text.

It doesn't take her long to reply with a picture and a question.

"These?"

"Yes, please hurry if you can. They're resources for Ava's guardian."

"Be there in a few."

Aware that Sam would walk into my classroom and see Ava managed to make me nervous. I wonder if she feels the same about it. Of course, there was nothing to be nervous about. I didn't understand the feeling myself. There was just something about knowing she still believed I was too fond of Ava and was going a bit too above-and-beyond for her.

Not to mention the last time she had met Ava it had sent her into a spiral.

I take a deep breath and try not to think too much on the matter. Sam was in a better mental space now. She was openly talking to me about all the things that gave her anxiety, including raising children. Seeing Ava might even make her realize she's no longer in the place she used to be. This could actually have a great outcome...