n i n e t e e n

She could barely register Theo laughing; all she caught was that he said he needed to get her back inside.

A pair of strong arms lifted her off the boulder then promptly threw her over their shoulder. She didn't have the energy to protest, although she did bang against the person's back a couple of times. Weak, yes, but she tried.

"Are you sure you can do it? You're not exactly her biggest fan, mate." Rang Theo's voice laced with concern. A year ago, he wouldn't be caught dead saying that he's friends with a Muggle-born such as herself, let alone admit to someone else that he cares for her. She considered it a victory.

Take that, Voldy.

"We'll be fine. Worry about how you'll get down without Filch catching you. See you back at the dorm."

In the middle of her sleepy haze, Hermione was quite aware of who was carrying her and wondered why he was suddenly being nice. She thought back to the times when Malfoy couldn't even bear to breathe the same air with her, and now he was voluntarily helping her smashed arse get back to the comfort of her room. Another victory.

Take that again, Voldy.

Looking down to Malfoy's feet, she saw that the wet grass have quickly turned to cobblestone and then to marble, and realized that they were already in. She watched as his shiny Italian leather shoes trudged up the staircase of the Heads' Tower.

His shoes probably cost more than my entire wardrobe.

He stopped at the familiar entrance of her portrait hole. She poked at his side to catch his attention. "Astra." She murmured.

The mermaid who was guarding the hole kept on splashing about her scaly tail, obviously not hearing Hermione say the password, so Malfoy spoke it for her. "Astra."

She looked up from braiding her long golden locks, giggled at the scene in front of her, and enthusiastically let them through, even adding a wink and a flick of her tail as they disappeared into the dorm. Hermione made a mental note to clear that up with her tomorrow morning before she spreads it to her other portrait friends, but at the moment all she could focus on was how warm her bed was. He even summoned a glass of water for her.

Acutely aware of Malfoy staring at her, Hermione propped herself up against her headboard and after gulping down the water that was on her bedside table. And then she did something that she wouldn't have dared to do sober.

She grabbed his hand as he was turning away.

"Stay."

He looked at her like she's grown a second head. Perhaps she had. Hermione kept her hold on him, and for a minute or two, they just stayed like that, staring at each other, unsure of what to do next. In the next split second, she mentally cursed whatever deity that came over her to even ask him. Him out of all people! Godric strike her down but she's regretting it because she knows there's a good chance he's only going to reject her, not because she didn't want him to.

It shocked her that he did.

The moment he sat down on the foot of her bed, loud neighs were heard from outside her window. She already knew it was the herd of thestrals hanging by Hagrid's hut which was directly below the Tower, but Malfoy's head snapped towards the night sky.

Hermione fumbled with the fraying threads of her thick, severely worn-out blanket. "I hate how I can see them."

She expected silence, the usual kind that greets her every time she innocently reveals deep and dark information about herself to Malfoy. This time though, there was none of that.

"Me too."   

-----------------------------

A/N:

Dedicated to @kaylihoperoborts12 for asking so nicely about another update. I do apologize for the randomness of me putting up chapters but hopefully, I'll get into a steady schedule soon! Much love xx