t w e n t y - f o u r

For the next two weeks, the Yule Ball committee have slaved away their free periods and weekends to work on creating the most magnificent ball Hogwarts has ever displayed even when the winds have picked up its speed and snow was fast approaching. It needed to be, to further cement the happiness that was emanating from the Hogwarts halls and house unity, the sole purpose of why they're holding the ball in the first place.

Hermione oversaw the entire production and gave the final answer for every decision, and in the end, the Great Hall looked to be as magical and splendid as it did during their fourth year when the Yule Ball was last held. As for her date, well, she didn't have one, but she couldn't really care any less because all she wanted was that man with her in the photograph. She's been having the same recurring dream, you see. Where she's in the photograph, laughing and being held by her lover as an October breeze blows by. But just as she looks up towards him, the dream ends. Just like that. And then it comes back the next night, ends, and then comes back again.

Hermione's dress hung in front of her closet still in the bag that it came with, bought with Ginny at a trip to Muggle London last week. She was surprised Headmistress McGonagall gave them permission to do so, but as she said, they weren't children anymore. No truer words have ever been spoken.

The night of the ball had finally come.

The group decided to meet outside the Gryffindor common room so that they all would go to the Hall together, and with this in mind, Hermione took off her dress from the hook and made her way out of her new room and to her old one.

The girls' dormitory was in absolute chaos the moment she stepped through the door.

"There you are, 'Mione! What are you waiting for? Sit down!"

----

Hermione stepped in front of Ginny's vanity mirror, instantly stunned by the version of her that was staring back at her. Her hair, that more closely resembles a rat's nest rather than actual hair, had already been soaked, rinsed, and lathered in multiple washes of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion, as well as countless taming charms provided by Lavender and Parvati. Her unruly, wild curls have now calmed and instead cascaded into soft waves of coffee-colored tendrils, swept up and pinned neatly on her head in an elegant chignon that framed her face perfectly. Her hazel eyes twinkled and shone with a brilliant sparkle that her silver A-line dress brought out. It was a sleeveless number that bared her prominent collar bones, arms and shoulders. The neckline was made of mesh with a sweetheart design of intricate patterns of snowflakes sewn across it. Specks of snow also dot the milky tulle fabric of her floor-length organza dress that has a surprising slit running down the middle, ultimately showing off her shapely legs.

Ginny offered to do her make-up for her, but one look at Ginny's bold eyes outlined with black and dangerously red lips had her vigorously shaking her head no. The daring route might work well with Ginny in her skin-tight black halter neck, but definitely not for Hermione and her princess dress.

Not for tonight's event, at least.

She opted to do so on her own, which, in the end, left her face looking bright and refreshed with her eyes dusted in a silver and gold shadow. She even highlighted her cheekbones and pert nose so that they shimmered under the lights of the dorm. One last swipe of glossy pink lipstick (charmed by Lavender to stay on until the night ended without smudging) and she deemed herself done.

"We all look amazing!" She gushed, to which the other girls enthusiastically responded their agreement.

Once again, looking at her reflection, she couldn't help but beam with an appreciation for the way she looked – and as they all descended the stairs to the common room where the guys were waiting for them, it was clear that she wasn't the only one.