IV. Rules

Nicholas was in utter disbelief.

And he was also in utter darkness.

For a slight second he wondered if he had perhaps been talking to no one, that mayhap there was nothing in this chamber.

He started to move to reopen the door and let the light from the corridor guide him to find the lamp in the chamber but a soft, calm voice spoke and he froze.

"Rule number one, my lord," it said, "I forbid you to see me."

Nicholas frowned. Bloody hell? He slowly turned around in an attempt to find the source of the voice.

"Rule number two, I say when you stop your visits."

He moistened his lips. So there was a woman behind the door after all. And she had bloody rules.

When she spoke no further, he cocked a brow in the darkness and took a step forward. "Rule number three?"

He nearly jumped in surprise when her voice spoke very close to him. "None."

She was near, he could feel it. She was standing right in front of him.

He swallowed the undeniable anxiety he felt. He was not used to stark darkness, but apparently this mysterious woman preferred it. "Simply two rules?" he asked, trying to cover his feelings with a charming, teasing voice.

He was finally inside the chamber of the woman very few men had the privilege to meet. He would not dare spoil this first visit. Of course, he ought to be charming!

"Two you must follow, yes," she said and Nicholas heard another sound. A rustle of clothes. His eyes widened. She was stripping her clothes! "Shall we proceed?"

If his past lovers were there as witness, they would have gawked in disbelief when he stepped away in panic for Nicholas Everard never stepped away from a willing, stripping maiden who had such soft, gentle voice. But this was different. He could not see her and she was taking him by surprise with each passing moment.

Nicholas felt the touch of fabric brush his legs as it fell on the floor and he swallowed hard.

Bloody hell. What if she was not who he imagined to be like? How could be respectfully step away and ask to be dismissed?

When she stepped closer until they were almost touching from chest to feet, he swallowed even more. What in tarnation had he entered?

"You have been such a talkative one while outside my door, my lord," she whispered under his chin, her breath brushing against his exposed throat. "Has the darkness rendered your speechless?"

Her voice and the way she said those words... it awakened a different longing inside him, one he rarely felt. If any of the women outside had spoken the same words he would have taken it as seduction. But this woman said it in such playful a manner that he had the sudden desire to see her face and find the glimmer of play in her eyes.

He was almost afraid to touch her. Her voice might be heavenly but her body might prove otherwise. Considering the small number of men who were known to frequent her chamber, Nicholas had reason to doubt.

Was that why she would not want for him to see her?

Her hand deliberately, and with a slight moment of hesitation, planted itself over his chest and Nicholas' heart began to race inside his chest.

Dainty fingers, soft palms. Swallowing hard, Nicholas deliberately forced out his anticipation. There was no turning back now.

He bowed his head to where he thought her face was and he whispered, "I am merely surprised you opened the door, sweetheart."