XII. Change of Plans

"They argue too much about the exchange," Nicholas uttered with contempt as he laid the letter on the table.

"One can only assume that business is a very complicated matter," said Sophia, "legal or otherwise."

"I need names, Sophie," he said. "I want to know who these men are. Baldwin is too bloody evasive. We need to catch at least one of these men on the act."

She merely held her silence. What was she to say?

"One name, one act and the Guards can have proper ground to detain and interrogate."

"I am afraid I do not know these men, Nick. They are too careful. There is no way I can know and not face consequences."

"I know," he said with a sigh, joining her in the chaise. "A fortnight. The exchange shall happen within a fortnight and yet they have not yet decided on a place."

"I believe another letter shall be delivered before the fortnight is over. Fret not. These men will eventually come upon an agreement. Money is at stake, after all."

He scoffed. "No one would lift a finger if the exchange involves goods, but the thought of living humans being traded in such a manner makes my stomach churn in the worst possible ways."

"You care for these slaves." She was surprised by her own statement and regretted it the very moment they slipped out her tongue. She merely opened an entirely dangerous topic.

"Of course. No one wishes to be forced to do labor without pay and freedom."

"Slavery is not often forced, my lord. For some, it is a willing choice. They are made to depend on naught but their masters."

She waited for his response. Or his question. It was the perfect time for him to do so after all. Was she too dependent on Marcus then? Was that why she was willingly doing what he wanted?

But the question never came although Sophia was quite certain Nicholas was dying to ask it.

If only I can tell you, Nick, she spoke in the silence of her mind.

"What do you wish to do?"

His question, mixed with his usual charming demeanor did not surprise her. In the weeks they had been together, she had grown to learn that it was his way to avoid a dire subject. He was not one who could handle too much pressure, too much stress. And this case was doing just that.

His visits to her chamber served two purposes in Sophia's understanding. One was to spy on Marcus, the other to relieve himself of the consternations brought about by the first. And it was through her.

"I would love for you to read for me," she said with a smile.

"Again?"

Sophia nodded. "You left off at the most exciting part," she eagerly stated as she picked up the book from the table and handed it to his ready hands.

"Very well," he said, planting a kiss on her cheek. "But you will have to pay for my services later."

Sophia stifled a laugh. "Gladly."

Very much later, after Nicholas snapped the book close just as when the prince and his horse were facing a dozen evil and sneering bandits, he reached for her and started to make love, making Sophia forget the anticipation she felt about the prince rescuing his maiden, replacing it with a different sort of anticipation, one she felt only in his arms.

What Sophia did not realize though was that she fell asleep after an exhausting and deliciously torturous time in bed.

She was no longer in the same bed she shared with Nicholas. She was not in the confines of her elegant chamber in Rock'oles.