XXV. Reports

The village of Puck was isolated from the rest of its neighbors. Located in the northwest part of the Town, it was surrounded by large walls of rocks. There were merely two ways to go there. One was by climbing the high rocks that surrounded Westershire in the west, second was by passing through the road between Kenward and Whiston. The first option was, of course, mostly unlikely as Westershire was owned by one of the Haverstons and climbing over the high rocks could deem fatal.

The second option was the only possible way for the villagers or anyone in the Town to take, but that would mean passing through two Everard estates and driving by the Everard mines.

Given their location and sources of income which was through mining or working for the Everard crop plantations, the village of Puck was very loyal to and dependent on the Everards. Should anyone suspicious go through the known passage to the village, the first to know were the Everards themselves.

Nicholas could not look at Sophia for too long due to the presence of one person: Fanny, his housekeeper in Wickhurst.

The woman was old enough to be his grandmother, but she had been with the family for so long until she was asked to work for him that she was amongst the people he could truly trust to keep his secrets to herself. She did not also question his sudden decision to temporarily take her elsewhere to be a companion to his friend.

And although Fanny was not aware of the true nature of his relationship with Sophia, the woman had been living far longer than him to know more than what she ought to. One look from the woman and Nicholas knew she understood enough of the situation. In fact, Fanny did not even show her surprise when she learned that the woman she was to accompany was colored and almost completely blind. Whatever was on the woman's mind, Nicholas might never find out unless he asked which was not going to happen.

Which was why he could not dare look at Sophia. There was no denying the sexual attraction he felt for the woman despite his distrust toward her. He was a man after all and his desires emanated wherever he went, especially now that Sophia was within his reach.

He had not heard from Carmel and he would not be surprised if the woman was going about Wickhurst, doing the usual things she did, enjoying her freedom. But Nicholas could not help but think that this time would be perfect to have his lover with him.

He was starting to feel distraction was paramount at this point. He could barely stop himself from touching Sophia, even more so last night when she appeared too vulnerable as he explained to her the arrangements he hastily placed into action.

But he must refrain himself and control his urges if he wished to control her. Should he allow himself the luxury of having her for a kiss or a tumble in the bed, she would have full reign over him again and he could not let that happen.

He did not realize he was doing the exact same thing he was avoiding until he saw Fanny watching him while he absently stared at Sophia's silent and calm face inside the carriage. He quickly looked away and closed his eyes which then provided his mind the chance to remind him of the feel of her hand when he guided her earlier inside the carriage.

Why did he have to do it? He had not done so the last time. Why did he have to touch her!

He shook his head and stifled a frustrated groan by faking a cough. He crossed his legs over the other, uncrossed it again and tried the other leg. He remained uncomfortable.

Fanny's wrinkled eyes did not leave him and he almost glared at the woman.

He cleared his throat again. "I will be departing right after we arrive," he announced to no one in particular. He was aware the two women already knew of his plans. He had been talking about naught but his supposed plan since they left Whiston.