XIII. Happiness

Sophia felt as though the ground above them collapsed upon her. Her face paled and her breath caught in her throat. She frantically jumped to her feet, no longer hiding the panic she felt inside her. "I was not told of this plan."

Marcus' form turned toward her. His head tilted to the right telling Sophia he was assessing her with great confusion. "You were never part of the planning, Sophia." His voice was soft and gentle. He did not want her to take offense, but the fact that he was being careful to care for her feelings angered her further.

Her hands balled into fists and her voice shook with emotion. "We were merely supposed to know the extent of what the Guards know, Marcus. You wanted to know to pave the way for your goals. There was no talk of harming anyone."

Suddenly the air between them grew far beyond tension. She could feel the anger simmering inside him as he stepped closer and peered at her. "Have you allowed yourself to be taken to bed by that man, Sophia?"

Her jaw twitched. "What did you expect me to do, Marcus? Seduce him to boredom?"

Suddenly his hand grasped her upper arm and he pulled her toward him none too gently. "You are proving to me that you are your mother's daughter," he rasped above her.

She pushed him away and he let her. "Who ordered that I take Nicholas Everard into my chamber?" she cried out, a tear falling down her face. "He was never supposed to be allowed entry in my chamber, Marcus, but you told me to open my door and I did. He is not like the others and he is not like you. He expected more and I was not ready to simply let him walk away. I had to do what he expected me to do to serve my purpose to you!"

Marcus was silent for a very long time. "You are acting like a horribly infatuated whore."

All reasons wanted to erupt within her but she held them together. There was no use arguing with with extreme anger where Marcus was concerned. Instead of bursting out, she held up her chin and glared at him as if she could see into his very soul. "Then mayhap I am and I do not like this plan of yours! It is foolish!"

"You promised to obey me at all cost," he reminded her. "I took you under my care, Sophia, despite everything. Do not make me regret it."

He stormed out of her chamber, leaving Sophia in a state of silent panic.

*****

When Nicholas came for another visit the very next day, Sophia was surprised to find him with a bundle of what seemed like plants.

"What are those?" she asked, taking in the fresh scent slowly enveloping the chamber.

She hoped she did not sound too ecstatic. She was wary to let her guard down after their odd conversation last time and the argument with Marcus, moreover after what she learned about Marcus' plans.

"Flowers, of course," Nicholas said, walking toward her. "I happen to grow a few in Whiston. Here, take them."

He thrust the bundle into her arms and Sophia instinctively bent down to smell them. Her hand lightly hovered over to feel the flowers. With delicate touch of her fingers, she felt for the shapes of the petals. They were not all the same.

"Wild flowers," he explained in a nonchalant tone, taking a seat in the winged chair. He started to untie his cravat. "Have I told you that Ysabella used to deliver a flower in Wakefield's residence every Friday for two bloody years?"

She looked up with an amused smile. "I am not surprised."

"And never did he bother to come down and receive one in person."

Her lips twitched.

"My blood is still boiling at the thought of it."

"Her efforts were returned, I assume?"