XVIII. Gossip in the Gaming Room

It was barely noticeable that there were fewer guests in the Theobald weekend party this year. It was still attended by many affluent identities, most of them there to witness the Theobalds themselves and see for themselves the secret bastard that was no longer a secret.

Most of the gossipmongers were huddled together in their own circles, eyes alert wherever a sign of a Theobald might be. Not merely were they curious as to why Lady Rachel Theobald herself considered Maxine as her own, they were also astounded by the fact that the affection between the two was rather genuine in nature.

Some were focused on the Everards, of course, particularly Maxwell. He was, after all, married to the Theobald bastard.

Many were still of want of Lord Eustace Theobald's attention as well. He was the father of Maxine, after all. They did not saunter away when he joined their circles. In fact, they clamored to get into his. All for one reason, of course: who is the true mother of the bastard?

It was a very tight secret, one that was protected by not merely the Theobalds but by the Everards as well.

Maxine's mother was from a very affluent family, one that would not appreciate should it ever be mentioned. The Trilbys, after all, was amongst those who would not tolerate any association with a scandal.

"You ought to congratulate yourself, Samuel," Nicholas uttered under his breath. "The article you published may have very well saved your sister's reputation."

Almost two years ago, Samuel had publicly announced his family's devotion to Maxine, condemning almost the entire population of the Town in a very astounding way. "As a matter of fact, you do have quite a good following since then. Your opinions on matters are being the talk of town."

Samuel shrugged as he looked at the dancing couples in the middle of the ballroom. "It might not be for long."

Nicholas frowned at him. "Why so?"

A smile curved Samuel's lips, his eyes alight with a mixture of mischief and excitement. "They may find my next piece too hard to swallow that they might regret reading it while breaking their fast." He drew a breath and added, "I know I have gained some ire after my Miss Mulligan letter, but I have more to say."

Ralph came back from the refreshment table just in time to hear his friend's last statement. "Do not be too overwhelmed by the more positive response on your articles, Samuel," he warned, drinking from his glass. "Should things turn bad, these people who praise you for your bravery shall all disappear to save themselves."

"I know what I am doing, Ralph," Samuel snapped. "Like you, I fight for a cause."

Nicholas slowly retreated from the conversation, focusing his attention on finding each member of his family.

Ysabella was dancing with her husband; his mother with Margaret and Cole in a group of friendly companions; Maxine and Maxwell with Lord Theobald and Maxine and Samuel's eldest brother, Gabriel, and his wife who was earnestly talking with Lady Theobald; Benedict, their eldest,was with his wife, alone in one corner, talking with three gentlemen who, in Nicholas' knowledge, were beneficiaries of Agatha's school for servants; Levi and his wife, Victoria, were with Emma, listening to her talk. Emma's gloves were gone, her dance card empty. Nicholas mentally shook his head. No matter, his sister was quite content to not be amongst the young ladies her age dancing the waltz with prospective husbands.

When he realized Ralph and Samuel were still talking about the consequences of free expression, Nicholas uttered, "Excuse me, gentlemen, while I find myself a more entertaining circle." When the two ignored him, engrossed in their banter, Nicholas nudged Ralph. "I am leaving to the gaming room. If the two of you are done talking about saving humankind, you are welcome to join."