XVI. Lord Durley

MANY MONTHS LATER

"What do you suppose this family dinner will be about?" Ralph asked out of nowhere.

"Our mother always invents occasions for dinner. For all we know we are to celebrate the first year of your leg's survival. How the bloody hell would I know?" Nicholas asked with a frown, his attention on the paper in his hand.

Ralph ignored his statement by cocking a brow. "I have always thought you never learned to read."

Nicholas glared at his brother over the copy of the Herald. Ralph chuckled for a while. As his laughter died down he groaned and brushed his fingers through his hair. "Ah, I am too bloody bored."

"We can go for a longer hunting trip in a fortnight," Nicholas offered, turning a page.

"No, I was referring to my mission."

Nicholas drew a long breath and rolled his eyes behind the paper. "You say that too bloody often."

"Because it is true," Ralph said, coming to his feet. "The culprit is the mistress and I know it. The problem now is how to tell the grieving widow."

"Send the woman a missive," Nicholas offered. "Dearest Mrs. Firefox, your husband was poisoned by whom we suspect to be his mistress who, by happenstance, also happens to be your neighbor. The noises you hear through the walls those nights your husband is away should also no longer be a mystery. We shall conduct a thorough investigation following this suspicion. The bored Town Guard, Ralph Everard."

His brother let out a scoff. "If that is only possible," Ralph muttered, refilling his brandy. "Anyhow, I ought to break the news by the morrow to start questioning."

"It is Sunday. Church," Nicholas reminded.

Ralph cursed under his breath. "Monday then."

"You promised to take Emma to the modiste."

"Bloody hell. Then when?"

"You are the Town Guard," Nicholas replied, flipping another page.

A quiet fell in the room until Ralph settled back in his seat. Nicholas could feel his brother's gaze through the sheets of paper before him. "The League refuses to disclose any information about the man we captured since they took over the entire bloody case."

Nicholas' jaw tightened. "You mean since your mission was snatched out of your hands."

A sound close to a whine escaped Ralph. "The bloody bastards took everything."

"Including all your notes."

"Yes, and now they run about town under disguise. Not even our own sister will tell us anything."

"Perhaps you can leave the Guards and join them. Do not whine about spilled milk, brother."

"Should I take the bandit case?"

"What bandit case?"

"The southern bandits, ones just off Tiny Town."

"You mean the ones near the dark forest." Nicholas peered over the paper. "You still hope you can gather more information for the slave case?"

Ralph shook his head. "No. As much as I wish to be part of it," he said, slapping his thigh, "I cannot let mother suffer the same way like before. I must wait another year or two until I try a mission as big as the slave trade." When Nicholas offered no reply, Ralph frowned. "What the bloody hell are you reading?"

"Durley and his empire," he muttered, blindly reaching for his drink. "He is quite a busy man ever since he came out to society."

Ralph's face darkened. "I have heard the ladies talk about him just yesterday. They are in love with the man."