Chapter 4

It was hardly two hours of sleep when my alarm went off. We all started to stretch our legs and one by one we did wudhu and offered Fajr prayer. I decided to go back to sleep till noon since today was Sunday and I don't have classes on Sunday.
I was slowly drifting back to sleep but I could make up what my cousins were talking about. I think they were planning about shopping for the wedding.
***********
"ALIZEH!!" Fatima screamed
I threw a pillow at her for disturbing me while I'm asleep. Just then I heard Anoushay saying " throw some water on her." She and her devilish plans.
"No!" I shouted back
"Well then get up, we have to do some shopping today."
"You guys go, I'm extremely tired. If I wake up on time. I'll meet you in the mall." I mumbled with my eyes closed. I pulled the blanket over me so that they get the indication that I want to sleep more.
"Let her sleep. She can come later. We are already late." I heard Amna talking to Anoushay and Fatima. Thankfully, I heard them leaving the room after awhile.
**************
I woke up to the continuous ringing of my phone, I searched for it with closed eyes to get hold of it. I answered the phone without seeing the caller ID
"Salam." I said half sleepy.
" get ready, Im reaching home in five to pick you up." I heard my brother on the other end. I ended the call and forced myself to the washroom. After splashing water on my face to wake up, I changed into some decent clothes and put my hijab on. When I heard my brother calling my name, I ran downstairs with my bag and mobile in my hands.
We drove to the mall and he instructed me about the floor where my cousins are. After two hours of continuous walking, I got really exhausted but they didn't cared much. I told them to return back home but they refused. I knew I had to force myself to bear this torture.
"What happened to Shahveer this morning?" Amna asked while examining some jewelry. I didn't understand what she was saying so I kept quiet. I really wanted to know what she was trying to say and I think she sensed my uneasiness
"Shamsha aunty said he went somewhere after Fajr and still hadn't returned."
I blinked at her and waited for her to say more but she didn't.
"Didn't someone called him?" I asked out of frustration when she wasn't telling me anything
"Aunty did but he didn't answered." She told me while trying to read my face " it's been more than five hours since he's out. He is new here, I don't think he is aware of the roads."
This all got me tensed up, He should have called back. What kind of behavior is this? Aunty must be really worried for him. What if he has gotten into an accident. Astagfirullah.
May Allah protect him. Nothing would happen to him.
"We need to go back home." I said while dialing my brothers number to pick us up.
"But we still have to get other things as well." Fatima replied back
"This could wait. We need to be at home right now."
"But why?" Anoushay worriedly asked, I gave her glare which made her shut up.
I told my brother to pick us up, I was panting rapidly. I don't know what was happening to me but I was worried sick.
"What is taking him so long." I let out my frustration while pacing back and forth. Just then my brother called and I rushed out of the mall with my cousins behind me.
************
Upon reaching home, I ran inside to see Shamsha aunty trying again and again to call someone. My mother was seated next to her, trying to comfort her.
Everyone was in the living room, I could see tension on everyone's face.
"Bhabi he isn't answering. This is so unlike him." Shamsha aunty cried out while my mother gave her a hug, assuring her everything would be okay.
I walked towards my room, trying to digest the whole thing. How can he leave like that? He should inform where he is going.
I went out on the terrace when it hit me that I might have his number from the messages he sent me on the first day he got here. I wanted to call him just to try out my luck but it went straight to voicemail. I decided to record the voicemail, maybe if he'll get free he would listen to it and call back.
"Shahveer, please come back. We are worried for you. Please come back." I said while tears rolling down my cheeks. I don't know why I'm being so emotional but I guess that's how Allah has made us, we women tend to feel more than expected.
I rushed to bathroom to do wudhu. I spread the praying mat and started to pray. I made dua for his return, everyone is worried for him. Please Allah protect him, nothing should happen to him.
Just as I finished my dua, I heard everyone shouting downstairs. I got up quickly to run downstairs, I saw everyone screaming at Shahveer for being so irresponsible and not answering their calls. The whole time his head was down as if he knew he would be listening to them.
"Ya Allah Tera shukar." I said with letting out a sigh of relief.
"Why were you so worried for him?" Amna asked who was standing next to me the whole time and I didn't realized it
"Everyone was worried." I said while still looking at him, making sure he wasn't hurt or had any injuries
"But you were worried more than expected. Even when you're not friends anymore." She again shot her questions. I glared at her, how unbelievable is she.
"This is called humanity." I nearly barked
"But last night---." She again started with her stupid and useless questions. I gave up and returned back to my room. I offered 2 rakat shukaranay k nafl as a thank you to Allah for listening to my prayer.
After I was done, I got up to see Shahveer standing at my door.
"What were you thinking? Have you lost it? What were you trying to prove? Everyone was worried for you." I screamed but maintained my voice so no one could hear us
"Even you?" He asked with a straight face. What kind of a question was that. I just stood there giving him the deadliest glare. He is so insensitive towards people, he think this stunt that he played was funny but it wasn't.
"You didn't answered my question?" He asked again. Oh the nerve of him to repeat the question
"Sometimes I wish to slap you so hard so that you won't ask such questions again." I shouted with little bit patience left in me. He took out his mobile and started playing with it. What kind of a man is he? We all were worried for him and he is standing there, not affected by any of this.
He then played the voicemail he received earlier from me. I knew that was my voice and I can't deny it.
"You were worried." He said with emphasizing on the word Worried
"Yes! Yes! I was worried for you, for your safety. Allah knows what could have happened to you. Don't you have little bit shame? How could you leave without telling anyone and not returning any of our calls." I cried out, I couldn't hold back my tears. The next moment I felt his hand on my shoulder to console me. I looked at him and I saw guilt in his eyes. I wiped my tears while he stood there the whole time, looking at me.
"I'm sorry." That's all what he said and left the room. I sat down on the floor to cry out a bit more. I needed to let out all my emotions so that I could feel better.