Chapter-8: "Ammi jaan,"

A small moan is heard from inside the room. Fahad immediately drops the work in hand, before rushing towards the bedroom door.

"Ammi jaan," He whispers, before retreating behind the door.

Noor gets up, when he comes back.

"Will you give me half an hour, Ma'am?"

"I will help you. What are you doing?"

"My Ammi...My mom, she is scared of outsiders. She thinks, that, they will take her to rehab. She is very scared of leaving me!" He states, with a sigh.

"I will help you. I promise. She wouldn't be scared of me,"

"No, Ma'am. You are my guest..."

"I insist..."

~~~

Noor ushers Fahad outside the room, since, he had to read the contract and sign it, today.

Noor grabs Ameena-Fahad's mom's hand, while pressing her lips, against her forehead.

She calmly recites-SubhanAllah, while taking in the state of this old lady, who had been strong enough, to survive.

Ameena's lips quiver, as she slowly raises her back, from the bed.

Noor pushes a device behind her, which keeps her back upright. A tear run down Ameena's cheek, as Noor braids her silvery hair.

She notices the similarities, between the mother and her son. A sad smile lingers onto her face, as she recollects a memory, of her own mother.

She prepares some vegetable soup of her, while not forgetting to take a quick glance, at Fahad. His eyebrows are knitted, in concentration, while running his finger, along every line of the contract.

She swiftly walks off, with the bowl in hand, trying to not disturb her, to be- Employee.

~~~

Noor pats Ameena's head gently, as she drifts into a calm slumber, with her wrinkled palm, around Noor's index finger.

She kisses Ameena, just above her eyebrow, before closing the door, softly, behind her.

~~~

"How do you leave your mother, home alone?"

"She has fixed timings, to wake up! One of the times, was then!"

"What if you are in the office?"

"Shahina, our maid, will take care of my mom!"

"Ok...If you want to leave, due to emergency situations like these, tell me, before leaving!

I might shout at you, sometimes, but, don't mind! Just remind me, Ok? I forget stuff, a lot! But, that's why, you are, here!"

"Ma'am, Will there be promotions?" He questions, after a while of serious silence.

"Of course... Clause 27, states that, 'Our employees are always given promotions and bonuses, in order to credit their hard work. We are likely to award a promotion, after, usually a year of service.' "

~~~

Fahad AbdurRahman.

16.09.2016

He signs, in three places, before, handing the contract, back to me.

"See you at work, tomorrow!"