Chapter-19: "Ye kitne kali hai,"

t.w. racism.

~~~

"Allahu Akbar," Ameena screeches while looking at Noor, with earnest eyes.

"Ye kitne kali hai," She exclaims, as Fahad stares at her, with eyes, as big as saucers.

Ameena had a pashmina shawl, draped over her head, as she stood on her doorstep, waiting for Kasim to arrive.

She had been waiting for him, all day. She didn't think he would come out, that day. She had noticed a black SUV, standing outside his house. But, she hoped for him, to come!

She ducks, as she sees, a group of Taliban men exit his house, with him, on tow.

Her heart sank, into its depths, as she sees her love, being carried, towards his death. A dark skinned man seemed the leader. Fahad tugged onto to her hand, but, she couldn't move. Tears clouded her eyes.

She hated all of them. The dark skinned people! She had vowed, that day.

Being from Nuristan, she hadn't encountered, any people, of such kind. She would have hated them, if she had ever seen them.

And now, her son, Kasim's son was talking to one of their kind. Why was he doing this? She had brought him up, better.

~~~

He immediately looks at Noor, hoping, she hadn't understood, what his mother had said, in Urdu.

"Ma'am, Could you go outside, for a while? I want to talk to Ammi, alone."

Noor smiles, "I might as well leave. Work has to be done. Take care of your mother."

She leaves. He heaves a sigh, of relief. She hadn't understood!

~~~

Tears threaten to spill out, as Noor steps out of the room.

She couldn't speak in Urdu, but, she very well, understood. His mother had called her-kali, dark skinned.

She drops another layer of her niqab, over her face, in order to cover her bloodshot eyes.

"Ammi, it isn't her fault." Fahad states. "Allah has created humans, in the best form." She hears him, sigh.

"She is my boss, Ammi," He continues, as Noor leaves, with the bouquet, she had brought.

~~~

"Boss?" Fahad's Ammi questions. "Ladki...boss?"

"Ammi, this is 2017 for Allah's sake. Anyone can be anything, they want to."

"All the dark skinned people have a great future," She mocks. "Hasn't her parents taught her, about the men?"

Fahad sighs. What had gotten into his Mom?

~~~

Dismissal Letter, Noor types down. She couldn't have an employee, who didn't respect women.

She had to be strong, and not let the tears overcome her strength.

But, her subconscious intervenes; he hadn't participated with his mom, in discouraging women. He had instead supported her.