Chapter-39: "Abba,"

Ameena holds a protective hand, in front of him, in fear that Fahad would do something, to her beloved.

"Ammi, who is this?" Fahad questions. His tone is a mix between anger and confusion.

"Your father," Kasim replies, as Ameena searches for an answer.

"Father!" Fahad looks at his mother, with anger evident in his tone and sight.

"I-" Ameena fidgets with the end of her dupatta.

This anger is quite useless, but, it is something Afghans show towards cheaters. They loathe them.

To think that, Ameena had cheated on Fahad's apparent father - Saleh, fuels the anger.

~~~

Noor holds Amir's hand steadily, as he exits the car.

She is going to show him, her office. Since he is going to take the place of Fahad.

The decision she had taken, wasn't in haste – bosses don't do that. She had rightly said, what she willed.

Fahad had been messing with her head, from the time, he had arrived.

But, this isn't Fahad's fault, completely, her heart dared to reason. She didn't listen to her heart.

~~~

"Fahad?" Shahina cautiously looks inside his room.

"Please, I don't want to eat lunch," He covers his face, with a pillow.

Shahina comes inside, anyways. She takes a seat on the side chair.

"Fahad, look at how happy your mother is. She was happy when you were going to get married. But, all that drama... I agree that it isn't Noor fault, but...You see, your mother has gone through a lot. She does some irrational stuff, sometimes. We can fix it, if you agree to accept Kasim as your father,"

"But..." He sits up straight. "How is that possible? How is Kasim, my father?"

Shahina lurches into the tale, which was narrated to her, by Ameena.

"Baji was to get married to Kasim – who was a poor, hazara. He lived with his Uncle."

Hazara. Fahad recalls having a Hazara friend when he was 2.

Baba had specifically told him, not to talk to Ali – his Hazara friend. "Hazaras are dirty and unclean," Fahad's Baba had said.

Ammi had quarreled with Baba, that day. Fahad hasn't see Ali, ever since.

"Baji's parents were not too keen on their marriage.

Why would a Nuristani marry a Hazara? But, since, their only daughter insisted, they agreed.

Their nikkah was a small affair. After which, Baji went to live with Kasim.

Baji was happy. Kasim was happy. But, Baji's parents were still not happy.

Two months after their marriage, Baji's mother received a proposal from the AbdurRahman family. She agreed.

Baji was devastated. She couldn't leave Kasim. But, she had to. Baji and Kasim didn't divorce."

"You mean...Ammi is still married to Kasim?"

"Yes. At that time, she was carrying you, in her belly. Nobody knew, except Kasim. He has a big heart, I must add. He let her go.

Baji was married to Saleh. And, you were raised as Saleh's child, which is untrue."

Fahad exhales. This is too much for him to digest.

~~~

Noor grabs Amir's hand, in fear that he might fall, as he drops one of his crutches. Safiya picks it up, for him.

" Asalamualikum Ma'am," She greets Noor, not before getting a good look, at Amir.

"Walaikumasalam," Noor sees Safiya, looking at Amir. "This is my brother – Amir. He is going to be my Secretary, from next week,"

"What happened to Fahad Sir?"

"Let's just say, that, he is gone for good," Noor feels a foreign ache in her heart, as she says this.

~~~

"Abba," Fahad greets Kasim, who sits in the balcony, with a newspaper, in hand.

He is a learned Hazara, Fahad notices.

"Fahad beta. Sit here," He gestures towards the vacant chair, in front of him.

"I am sorry," Fahad apologizes. "It's ok," Kasim forgives him.

"Begum was telling me about Noor," A small smile approaches Fahad's lips, upon hearing someone addressing his mother, as begum. Saleh never called Ameena, begum.

Fahad tells Kasim, more about the misunderstanding with Noor.

~~~

The doorbell rings.

Noor looks through the eye hole. She had just massaged Amir's legs, with olive oil.

She sees an aged man, dressed in a blue kurta-pajama, who looks so much like Fahad. She shakes her head, at herself, for being reminded about Fahad.

She puts on, her abaya and niqaab, before opening the door.

"Asalamualikum," Kasim greets solemnly.

"Walaikumasalam Sir. May I know, who you are?"

"I am Fahad's father."

She doesn't say anything. She gestures him, inside.

"About the marriage..." Kasim gets straight to the point and manages to convince Noor into marrying Fahad.

"Ok," She breathes out.

Kasim smiles. "Next week, then?"

"Yeah. Same day. After Dhuhr." She feels her face, getting heated up.

"In sha Allah,"

"Please tell Fahad to meet me, tomorrow,"

"You are still going to give him the dismissal letter?" Kasim questions.

"He has a surprise waiting for him,"