5. From dinner to family reunion (part 2)

"Stefan. Where is the lovely Elena tonight?" Elijah interrupted the silence. I knew he don't feel anything for her, but she looked exactly like Tatia and Katerina and that made me feel uneasy. I mean, what can garanty that he won't fall for her too.

"I don't know. Ask Damon." Stefan answered. I don't know if I ever saw Elijah so confused. Nik laughed from Elijah's face.

"I'm sorry, you've missed so much." he said amused to his brother. "Ah, trouble in paradise."

"One more word about Elena and this dinner's over." Stefan threatened. Nik smiled and put a finger to his lips as a promise to keep quiet about her.

"You know what, probably best just to keep Elena in the do-not-discuss pile." Damon suggested.

"You're probably right." Niklaus agreed.

"It's just the allure of the Petrova doppelgänger, still so strong. What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia?" Niklaus just couldn't keep his mouth shut. Only from her name my whole body went rigid.

"Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?" Elijah tried to avoid the subject, while stealing a glace at me.

"Well, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originator of the Petrova line." I had no idea why, but Nik didn't want to let it be.

"Well, we're not going anywhere Elijah. Please, do tell." Damon encouraged Elijah.

"When our family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia. She was an exquisite beauty. Every boy of age desired to be her suitor, even though she'd had a child by another man. And none loved her more than Niklaus." Elijah started.

"I'd say there was one who loved her at least as much." I wanted to pull Niklaus tongue out for knowing how I feel about Elijah and Tatia being together, but still bringing it into the conversation. But before I could explode from anger, Elijah took my hand in his and sqeezed it for me to calm down. This small gesture made me relax instantly.

"Wait a minute. So you both loved the same girl?" Stefan asked amusedly.

"Our mother was a very powerful witch. She sought to end our feud over Tatia and so she took her. Klaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine on the night where our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires. Tatia wouldn't make a decision between the two of us, so for a time Niklaus and I...grew estranged. Harsh words were traded, we even came to blows, didn't we, brother?" Elijah explained.

"But in the end we realized the sacred bond of family." Nik ended the story.

"Family above all." Elijah stated.

"Family above all." Nik repeated and they both clinked their glasses.

"So, Aria, when did you decided to become Mrs. Mikaelson?" Damon asked me after a while.

"Actually, it wasn't really ours decision. Our marriage was arranged by our parents when we were still humans." I answered sincerely. I knew that there was no point in lying.

"Wait... Your marriage wasn't from love, but even after a thousand years you're still together?! Wow... This is what I call a perfect marriage." Damon was clearly shocked. "Elijah, you're probably the happiest man from four of us." However, Elijah wasn't smiling. He kept his head low looking at his food, probably trying to find right words to explain the situation for Damon and Stefan. I sighed when I understood  that I need to help him.

"It's far from perfect. There were difficult times for us, but we try." I said the truth.

"We try to make this work. And maybe, one day we will succeed. After all, we have an eternity for that." Elijah continued while looking at me with a small smile on his beautiful face. I smiled back at him slightly.