Chapter 41 - James

That meeting dragged on forever. But thank goodness, now I'm on my way home. I can't wait to see what Jake and Autumn have managed to get. In the middle of the meeting I received a cryptic text from Jake, saying I should be prepared for everything. Not really sure what to expect now. But as long as Julie will be happy, I will be happy.

As soon as I turn my key in the lock, I hear a friendly meow.

Meow?

What the fuck?

Yep. Fucking meow.

I stand in the door, a grey ball of fur on four paws rubbing against my leg.

Is that even my apartment?

I lean back to check out the name plate at the still open door.

Well, indeed. It's mine. But what with the cat?

I let the door fall shut and strut into the living room, looking for someone who could explain this to me. Kitten hot on my trails.

"Oh hey, bro." My brother grins innocently at me from the couch. "How was the meeting?"

"What is this?" Disregarding his platitudes, I point at the fluffy animal to my feet.

Jake lets his lips vibrate against each other, producing a sound people make who try very hard to solve a puzzle.

"You got me. But if I were to guess, I'd say it's a cat."

"I can fucking see that." My patience is growing thin. He'd better not try me. "What's it doing here?"

"It's living here." He's suppressing laughter, I can tell.

"Really, Jake?" I hiss, not in the mood for this crap. "Why is there a cat in my freaking living room?"

"It's a present for Julie."

What? "Whose idea was that?"

"Ours."

"So, Autumn agreed to this?"

"Actually, she thought of it first and I agreed."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. "And no one even considered asking me before making a decision like this?"

"We, well I was pretty sure you'd be okay with it."

"Where is she? Where is Autumn?"

He points his index finger into the direction of Julie's room. "Decorating."

I march right in and find her arranging some plush bunnies along the large white dresser.

She has done a marvelous job of decorating the room. Everything is in white and pink, my Julie's favorite color. The room that has been somewhat bleak is now every little princess's dream. Toys and books in every corner, the closet filled to the rim with pretty clothes, long light drapes frame the tall windows. Autumn even picked out some pictures to make the walls look less naked. Julie is going to love her new territory.

"Hey," I say, now being a little calmer than a few minutes ago.

She jumps. Apparently, she didn't hear me come in.

When our eyes meet, her face lights up joyfully.

"Do you like it?"

"Yes," I nod. "It is beautiful. But Autumn, you do need to explain the cat in my living room."

She lowers her head, disappointed that I'm not as enthusiastic about my new room mate as she hoped. Or maybe it is just fear of my reaction.

"I'm sorry," she mumbles guiltily. "If you don't like it, I'll take it home with me. But Jake said that Julie has been dying to have a cat forever but her mother would not allow it because she doesn't want to fool with a pet. And I thought she could use a little companion to love on. After all, she's been through quite a bit."

Just like that, my irritation dissolves. Hell, she is so right. And wasn't it me who told Autumn to go get everything my little girl's heart could possibly desire? Granted, I was thinking more of the plush versions rather than a live animal, but if that's what my princess wants, if that will make her happy, so be it.

"What am I to do with you, sweet girl?" I smile, grabbing her waist to pull her close to me.

"Are you angry?" she cautiously asks.

"No," I assure her. "I'm not angry. I mean, it was a bit of a surprise to come home and find a new pet, but I know you did it for Julie. I really appreciate it. And the room is amazing. Thank you."

I lean in for a soft kiss.

Soft my ass. Whenever we touch, it takes a mere second before passion takes over. Our kisses quickly become heated, our tongues entwined in lustful play.

Tugging at each other's clothes, we stumble across the room until a wall halts our dizzy steps.

Breathing heavily, I break our kiss.

"Let me get rid of Jake, I want to be alone with you now."

Autumn's delicate fingers rearrange my shirt collar while she replies.

"I'd like that. But Jake already told me he has other plans for you."

I frown. "What kind of plans?"

"I don't know," she shrugs. "He just said it's important."

It must be really important. So important that he hasn't told me anything about any goddamn plans yet. What the fuck, Jake?

"Important, huh?"

"Yep, you don't want to miss dinner with Aunt Mary now, do you?"

I let go of Autumn and spin around. Jake is leaning leisurely against the door frame, a glass of brandy in his hand.

Shit. That was today?

"Come on, you didn't forget?" he grins bemused.

"I guess I did," I mumble, not happy about the prospect of my aunt and uncle spending hour after hour pestering me about my failed marriage, when I could have a much more pleasant night with my girl.

"Hey," I suddenly am not so unhappy about it anymore. With a hopeful smile, I turn to Autumn. "Why don't you join us?"

Her eyes grow wide in surprise. Or shock? Anyhow, she seems very taken aback.

"Me?"

"Yes, you." I take her hand and squeeze it gently. "I would love for you to meet my family."

"But," she stutters. "But I'm not dressed appropriately."

She looks down at her beige business dress, as if she had to check what she actually was wearing.

"You look wonderful," I reassure her.

It's not a lie. The dress emphasizes her feminine curves without being too suggestive. She looks so classy, so perfect.

"Please, accompany us."